SEC Honors Internship - DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SEC Honors Internship - DC

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:50 pm

Anyone hear anything yet?

Anonymous User

Re: SEC Honors Internship - DC

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Nothing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:19 am

Looks like nope

fluctuatnecmergitur

New

Post by fluctuatnecmergitur » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Had phone interview last Friday, February 6, 2015. Received email offer today, February 13, 2015.

Anyone seen threads with info from past interns that have participated in this program?

threecharacters

New

Post by threecharacters » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:06 pm

I interned at the SEC last summer as a 1L. I think my first interview was in Feb. and a second round interview mid/late March. Received offer almost one hour after second phone interview. This was DC, Division of Trading and Markets.

If you're a 1L freaking out, just chill. Everything will start coming together soon. All of the stars aligned and I think I had interviews at many of the financial regulators during the same week in March.

That said, if anyone has any questions about the summer honors program or the SEC in general, I'll happy to oblige.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:47 am

Same as above. Had phone interview on Feb. 6th, got an offer last Friday. Only one phone interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:44 pm

To the person that already interned there, does it seem like being an intern helps in any way to secure a 3L job through their attorney honors program? Or would you say the attorneys don't really care what happens to you after you leave.

I know the applications were only open for a little over a week last August for the attorney program, and was hoping there was some kind of marginal benefit to being an intern. I have an internship this summer with the SEC, but it is at a regional office (where I would like to work post-grad).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:45 pm

Bumping this thread for OP in case it's useful. I am not OP.

I had my initial phone interview at the end of October, early November, and received my invitation from two divisions a week into November. I then accepted one of the offers about a week later, and then heard back in late January with my next "official" invite/acceptance, pending a BG check.

I submitted the BG check docs about a week into February, and then received my official acceptance in late February.

I'd also love to hear from former SEC Honors Interns re: their experience, and whether this has much of an effect on future employment with the SEC.

Additionally, and while I know it's a real long shot, if anyone has input on whether the SEC Honors Internship would help in any way in obtaining a 3L BL SA, I'd love to hear it. I know the chances are very slim, and I struck out during OCIs with only 2 CBs, but wondering if this experience will help obtain the single 3L SA spot that few BL firms offer. Top 8% at top 70 school with LR+another journal+PT clerk+RA+two years WE before LS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this thread for OP in case it's useful. I am not OP.

I had my initial phone interview at the end of October, early November, and received my invitation from two divisions a week into November. I then accepted one of the offers about a week later, and then heard back in late January with my next "official" invite/acceptance, pending a BG check.

I submitted the BG check docs about a week into February, and then received my official acceptance in late February.

I'd also love to hear from former SEC Honors Interns re: their experience, and whether this has much of an effect on future employment with the SEC.

Additionally, and while I know it's a real long shot, if anyone has input on whether the SEC Honors Internship would help in any way in obtaining a 3L BL SA, I'd love to hear it. I know the chances are very slim, and I struck out during OCIs with only 2 CBs, but wondering if this experience will help obtain the single 3L SA spot that few BL firms offer. Top 8% at top 70 school with LR+another journal+PT clerk+RA+two years WE before LS.
I'm a current Honors Intern in a regional office. So far, it's been a great experience. I work with ENF attorneys on both the investigation and litigation sides. I've done some really interesting research and writing projects, as well as assorted miscellaneous assignments (e.g., preparing testimony summaries, charting deposition questions, cite checking briefs, etc.). I've also been able to sit in on investigation testimony and court hearings. All the attorneys I've worked with have been great; very willing to answer questions and involve me in what they're working on. Also, maybe it's just this particular office, but the atmosphere is really laid back and collegial. I think you'll find it to be a very worthwhile experience, especially if you have an interest in securities regulation.

As to effect on future employment, your guess is as good as mine. You probably know that the SEC basically never hires entry level attorneys, but I'd expect a former intern to at least have a decent chance at an interview as a lateral. FWIW they started the Chair's Attorney Honors Program last year as an entry level hiring program, but there were only like 10 slots Commission-wide. I did notice that the application had "former Honors Intern" on the questionnaire.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a current Honors Intern in a regional office. . . . Also, maybe it's just this particular office, but the atmosphere is really laid back and collegial. I think you'll find it to be a very worthwhile experience, especially if you have an interest in securities regulation.
Mind saying which office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a current Honors Intern in a regional office. . . . Also, maybe it's just this particular office, but the atmosphere is really laid back and collegial. I think you'll find it to be a very worthwhile experience, especially if you have an interest in securities regulation.
Mind saying which office?
Don't want to be too specific, but it's one of San Francisco/Los Angeles/Salt Lake/Denver.

fluctuatnecmergitur

New

Post by fluctuatnecmergitur » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:53 am

Any other summer 2015 SEC interns in DC office? I started looking for summer housing and .. well .. yeah, help.

threecharacters

New

Post by threecharacters » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the person that already interned there, does it seem like being an intern helps in any way to secure a 3L job through their attorney honors program? Or would you say the attorneys don't really care what happens to you after you leave.
Yes, I imagine it helps somewhat (though keep in mind they take like 150 summer interns). One of the 2Ls in TM that I interned with received an offer to join as an entry-level (not through the attorney honors program). Entry-level hiring does exist at the SEC--just not at the rate it has in the past. OCIE is definitely looking to hire entry-level attorneys.

I've kept in touch with the attorney with whom I worked most closely and I think she cares about my career. I'm going BigLaw but I may end up back at the Commission some day. I think it helps to nurture and keep alive the connections you make there (and anywhere, really).
Anonymous User wrote:Additionally, and while I know it's a real long shot, if anyone has input on whether the SEC Honors Internship would help in any way in obtaining a 3L BL SA, I'd love to hear it.
I can't speak much to 3L SA, but I definitely think it helped with my 2L SA. I knew I wanted to do securities work and being able to articulate and show my interest to the firm by interning at the SEC was a plus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:04 pm

fluctuatnecmergitur wrote:Any other summer 2015 SEC interns in DC office? I started looking for summer housing and .. well .. yeah, help.
I'll be in DC, and have been told the Alexandria or Maryland side is good for cheaper housing. Just make sure you're close to the train.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Have an phone interview coming up, could anyone offer some advice on the interview process, types of questions asked, etc.

zmxn

New

Post by zmxn » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have an phone interview coming up, could anyone offer some advice on the interview process, types of questions asked, etc.
If taking/have taken Sec Reg, they might ask about your favorite rule. You'll also get a "Why the SEC?"

Nothing too invasive. Pretty standard questions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”