3L Georgetown - Unemployed

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
victortsoi

Re: 3L Georgetown - Unemployed

Postby victortsoi » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:53 pm

tons of mid-law would be happy to have you based on just your school name. you can lateral later.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:03 pm

victortsoi wrote:tons of mid-law would be happy to have you based on just your school name. you can lateral later.

Oh really? So the underemployed kids at GULC just chose moving in with their parents over working this mid-law that you speak of?

michael2015

Postby michael2015 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:35 pm

We all know 3L hiring is few and far between if any. Count the thread with 3LOLCI.

I'm sorry, but a 3.5 (over one year -- and a easier year than 1L because people stop giving a fuck) is not something to write home about. If you came to GT and crushed a 3.8+ then I'd understand. And in all honesty, maybe you should have taken easier classes (and not "substantive" classes) and just gotten the good GPA.

Lessons learned late.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:For 2L summer I got a paying job working for a law firm in DC as a law clerk.

I'm confused: I thought firms where you work during your 2L summer generally always give you a full-time job offer, unless you really screwed up. What happened?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For 2L summer I got a paying job working for a law firm in DC as a law clerk.

I'm confused: I thought firms where you work during your 2L summer generally always give you a full-time job offer, unless you really screwed up. What happened?

I don't have any intentions of staying in DC , otherwise I have an open offer to go back

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't have any intentions of staying in DC , otherwise I have an open offer to go back

So what you're saying is you're not unemployed?? Is it a large firm?

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:49 am

this thread has took an unexpected turn

so, OP

you are

willingfully unemployed? ok nevermind carry on sorry for intruding on ur thread

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any indications that the legal job market is picking up so that there may be more entry positions available in the near future? It seems the economy is getting better, and big law hiring is on the up. I know Georgetown was hitting between 60-70% Big Law pre-recession, according to an interview by the Dean of Admissions, Andy Cornblatt.

Sorry, the legal industry is shrinking again...not growing.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2015/02/06/leg ... od=WSJBlog

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:54 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So what you're saying is you're not unemployed?? Is it a large firm?

I want to exhaust all other opportunities before I settle for a basic job. I guess I should've stated my intentions were to land a high paying job. I've been offered interviews at smaller firms who are run by lawyers who've worked at big law firms, its just I prefer starting my career at a big law or mid-size law firm like my peers who have similar stats in the T14. Also, all these opportunities are in DC, and I really want to go back to NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:57 am

michael2015 wrote:We all know 3L hiring is few and far between if any. Count the thread with 3LOLCI.

I'm sorry, but a 3.5 (over one year -- and a easier year than 1L because people stop giving a fuck) is not something to write home about. If you came to GT and crushed a 3.8+ then I'd understand. And in all honesty, maybe you should have taken easier classes (and not "substantive" classes) and just gotten the good GPA.

Lessons learned late.

Thanks for your opinion..but I'd rather take the substantive classes and be a better lawyer.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:57 am

I am excited to see where else this goes.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:24 pm

These firms that you have a connect with in DC - what do they pay?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm not really sure how accurate it is to say that 2l or 3l year, if taking classes such as BA, fed courts, admin law, secured credit etc....is much easier or less indicative or performance than 1l classes. These classes are still, at my school at least, strictly curved, and the people that take them are usually still giving a fuck. This being said, you have a 3.5, which seems to be around top third. This is nothing to feel bad about but its also nothing to warrant a big law hiring partner to become excited upon seeing your resume. Bust ass and try and get some distinctions, such as cum laude, order of the coif if you are a 2L and its still possible, maybe even a highest grade award...I don't like the line of thought which says take really easy classes to boost up the gpa, especially for transfer students. The reason being that you need to prove yourself and anyone that looks at a transcript will see the kid only taking seminars and uncured classes whatever and be weary, I would be at least.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:41 pm

I went to school in the DC area. People did get hired as 3Ls so do not loose hope. There are three things you should be doing: (1) network in DC and NY, (2) get good grades, and (3) pass the bar. Employers have no incentive to hire you now before you take the bar just keep that in mind.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:52 pm

JCougar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any indications that the legal job market is picking up so that there may be more entry positions available in the near future? It seems the economy is getting better, and big law hiring is on the up. I know Georgetown was hitting between 60-70% Big Law pre-recession, according to an interview by the Dean of Admissions, Andy Cornblatt.

Sorry, the legal industry is shrinking again...not growing.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2015/02/06/leg ... od=WSJBlog

This is total, and the previous poster was only commenting on one part of the legal industry.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:29 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:This is total, and the previous poster was only commenting on one part of the legal industry.

I think it's likely that there's a fairly decent correlation.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
michael2015 wrote:We all know 3L hiring is few and far between if any. Count the thread with 3LOLCI.

Lessons learned late.

Thanks for your opinion..but I'd rather take the substantive classes and be a better lawyer.

what is it with transfers and taking lots of das rigeure fake important classes like admin and fed courts. there's nothing to prove to the rest of the class.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:43 pm

JCougar wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:This is total, and the previous poster was only commenting on one part of the legal industry.

What's your reasoning? Is there some link between matrimonial law and corporate finance that I'm not aware of?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:52 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
JCougar wrote:

What's your reasoning? Is there some link between matrimonial law and corporate finance that I'm not aware of?

Do you have data showing the opposite?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:43 pm

Two things:

1) A 3.5 2L year at GULC isn't all that impressive, to be honest (honestly it probably equates to about a 3.35 1L GPA, especially considering you had the extra incentive to do well considering the lack of success at EIW). Trust me, I'm also a 3L at GULC, and many of my peers saw their GPAs soar after 1L year.

2) Don't panic. There is much more to life than this, and there are PLENTY of good firms that have less than 100 attorneys. I'd recommend broadening the search. Having faith and confidence will take you far.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:45 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:
JCougar wrote:

biglaw hiring has def improved for at least 2 straight years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Two things:

1) A 3.5 2L year at GULC isn't all that impressive, to be honest (honestly it probably equates to about a 3.35 1L GPA, especially considering you had the extra incentive to do well considering the lack of success at EIW). Trust me, I'm also a 3L at GULC, and many of my peers saw their GPAs soar after 1L year.

2) Don't panic. There is much more to life than this, and there are PLENTY of good firms that have less than 100 attorneys. I'd recommend broadening the search. Having faith and confidence will take you far.

I thought its big law or bust

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:48 am

Clearly wrote:biglaw hiring has def improved for at least 2 straight years.

Oh sure, but how much does this help considering OP struck out?

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:16 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Data showing the opposite: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... urvey_says

I'm not disagreeing this doesn't provide much solace to OP, just how the statistic was used.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:26 am

If anything, the other statistic used is then more relevant to the OP's situation.

Return to “Legal Employment”