State USAO v. State AG v. State DOJ (not SLIP)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

State USAO v. State AG v. State DOJ (not SLIP)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:07 am

I have an offer for a state DOJ. I just interviewed with the USAO and AG (both state/not fed) (too early for offers). I have tried Googling this topic as much as possible. Assuming I will work at a private firm post-graduation before having the chance to work in a public interest capacity, which of these internships would look great on my resume while also giving me a leg up on experience? (I know what government offices do and do not hire right out of law school). State DOJ and AG (if offered position) would be able to split. USAO ≠ split.

BIO:
I worked as a law clerk in a mid-size firm my 1L summer (lots of writing experience)
All states involved allow student attorney certification (potential court time)
None of the offices are located on the East Coast (FYI)
T20
Goals: hands-on litigation experience; impress future employers.

If you've worked at one of the following, I appreciate feedback from your individual experience.
Is there really any one internship, among those listed, that appears more prestigious?
If you're a 3L and have secured full-time employment for this Fall, and had one of these internships, did it help/harm, didn't matter?

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: State USAO v. State AG v. State DOJ (not SLIP)

Postby swampman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just interviewed with the USAO and AG (both state/not fed).
What do you mean by state USAO? I've only seen that used for the United States Attorney's Office.

User avatar
Elston Gunn
Posts: 3444
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: State USAO v. State AG v. State DOJ (not SLIP)

Postby Elston Gunn » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:10 am

swampman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just interviewed with the USAO and AG (both state/not fed).
What do you mean by state USAO? I've only seen that used for the United States Attorney's Office.

I assume he/she just means a regular USAO, as in not the federal DOJ in D.C. But it is confusing.

User avatar
transferror
Posts: 816
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: State USAO v. State AG v. State DOJ (not SLIP)

Postby transferror » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:31 am

Why do you assume you will be working at a private firm post-graduation?
Most people that get entry level positions at firms work for the firm during 2L summer and/or clerk during the year.

USAO doesn't really hire fresh grads, so do AG or DOJ. If one pays, do that one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: State USAO v. State AG v. State DOJ (not SLIP)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:24 am

transferror wrote:Why do you assume you will be working at a private firm post-graduation?
Most people that get entry level positions at firms work for the firm during 2L summer and/or clerk during the year.

USAO doesn't really hire fresh grads, so do AG or DOJ. If one pays, do that one.


Just because you aren't working for a private firm during your 2L summer does not mean you won't be employed by one post-graduation. Both the AG and USAO like to see anywhere from 1-5 years of prior litigation experience.

None of the positions are paid, and that doesn't really matter–I'm looking to know what would look best when I apply for full-time employment and the major differences in experience.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: State USAO v. State AG v. State DOJ (not SLIP)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:26 am

Elston Gunn wrote:
swampman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just interviewed with the USAO and AG (both state/not fed).
What do you mean by state USAO? I've only seen that used for the United States Attorney's Office.

I assume he/she just means a regular USAO, as in not the federal DOJ in D.C. But it is confusing.



Yes–It was meant for me to avoid having to say this: I don't have an offer to work for Eric Holder himself, which would be the slam dunk public interest position. Sorry if confusing.

User avatar
transferror
Posts: 816
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: State USAO v. State AG v. State DOJ (not SLIP)

Postby transferror » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
transferror wrote:Why do you assume you will be working at a private firm post-graduation?
Most people that get entry level positions at firms work for the firm during 2L summer and/or clerk during the year.

USAO doesn't really hire fresh grads, so do AG or DOJ. If one pays, do that one.


Just because you aren't working for a private firm during your 2L summer does not mean you won't be employed by one post-graduation. Both the AG and USAO like to see anywhere from 1-5 years of prior litigation experience.

None of the positions are paid, and that doesn't really matter–I'm looking to know what would look best when I apply for full-time employment and the major differences in experience.


There's no objectively correct answer, there are too many variables. For instance, at the state DOJ or AG's office, your experience will vary greatly by practice group, and the corresponding importance to employers will depend on the type of firms you apply to and how you can weave your experience into a narrative. If you do labor law at the AG's office and then apply to labor firms, I imagine you'll have a boost. If you apply to small personal injury firms that want to throw you in court from day 1, courtroom experience will be important (and the OP said that's a possibility).

What types of firms will you be targeting when you graduate?

**Sort of scooped by Anony

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: State USAO v. State AG v. State DOJ (not SLIP)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:28 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Or one has a better commute, pick that one.


Food for thought: USAO = no relocation, AG & DOJ = relocation

Would splitting the Summer be beneficial, or just a waste in terms of losing experience gained by staying in one office?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: State USAO v. State AG v. State DOJ (not SLIP)

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:33 pm

Splitting might help you get a better idea of where your professional interests are, but, possibly, at the expense of developing stronger references.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.