3L Grades Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Grades

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:14 pm

With an offer in hand for Big Law what are the repercussions of your GPA dropping (not significantly)? Does it depend on whether the firm is V10, V20, or V50?

Anonymous User

Re: 3L Grades

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With an offer in hand for Big Law what are the repercussions of your GPA dropping (not significantly)? Does it depend on whether the firm is V10, V20, or V50?
Wait if you have a full time offer why do even care? You don't have to report grades or anything again right? just don't fail out and I don't even see what this thread is for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:27 pm

Sorry, should have specified . . . 3L hire, so I was not sure if there was a distinction between summering your 2L summer and being hired as a 3L.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:34 pm

I know someone who was no offered at a v50 for dropping from top 25 to median during 3L

similar grade drop happened to another friend at v21 and she got an offer. Better hope you're in the v20

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:37 am

Grades are not going to have negative repercussions on your immediate future unless you actually fail out of law school. I can't imagine a firm rescinding an offer at that point--they probably won't even ask for your final transcript (to show that you graduated) until shortly before you start.

However, grades still matter post-graduation, especially if you decide to lateral or leave biglaw within a few years. 1L grades are most important even then, but you would be advised to try not to get straight B-s as a 3L, and there is a lingering advantage to meeting the grade cutoffs to graduate cum laude/magna/Coif/etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:10 am

Anonymous User wrote: However, grades still matter post-graduation, especially if you decide to lateral or leave biglaw within a few years.
no, they really don't,

source: biglaw lateral

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”