1L summer at place with "transgender" in title. Bad for OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer at place with "transgender" in title. Bad for OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In my experience, transgender will not be worse than any other political / public interest job. I.e., no one cares about your politics w/r/t interviews, at least at a big firm.

BUT all public interest / politics jobs are inferior to commercially-oriented jobs in terms of positioning yourself for interviews. Transgender Rights OR Ayn Rand Institute both scream someone whose heart isn't in commercial law, which is what we do at big firms.

Of course, nothing is worse than a resume gap, so if your options are political public interest job or barista, the answer is the political public interest job.

Strong +1 to this. I honestly, in a competitive market, would not hire either of these type of people for a capital markets, corporate, commercial lit, IP, etc. type of practice b/c it just does not show interest in relevant issues or add to the development of relevant skills, business acumen, jargon, etc. The counter is of course that you just did whatever you could get, but you don't want to say that in an interview because it speaks poorly of your ability to get a 1L job versus your peers. Many public interest and government jobs, the majority of 1L positions, evince a strong interest in business, finance, commercial transactions and litigations, etc. (e.g. judge's office, AG's, chamber of commerces, etc.) and would be much better options.

Yet, if you want to do appellate litigation, the above is probably less relevant. But good luck with that, as most litigators at big firms start off doing general commercial lit.

OP here

This seems to run counter to the general TLS "just do something legal they don't care what."

Though I'll have you know I'm now concerned about this.

If I had to pick a dream outcome, it would be appellate lit, but I'm aware that the possibility of that happening is slim-to-none. I figured working somewhere that does some amount of lit (on the atty side) would be good and if it was something I'm super interested in then even better. :|

I would add that if any applicant expresses a strong interest in appellate litigation during an interview, unless your grades are just blowing me away, it's a huge ding. It would be like a woman showing up to a matchmaker and saying "what I'm really interested is going out with Bradley Cooper or George Clooney". You better be a fine woman, or the first thing we need to do is recalibrate your expectations.

I had a friend make that mistake several years ago, when we were on the other side, and despite having very good grades, top quarter from our T14, he got shut out. Eventually he went to a coach provided by a recruiter and they told him never to mention the word "appellate" again, and lo, he got a job right after his clerkship ended.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:29 am

Hence, "dream outcome."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:09 am

When I was an undergrad, I was interviewing for paralegal jobs. I interviewed at DANY, and at a big V5 law firm. I was in leadership in two organizations that were very progressive (SJP and a sexual health group). After DANY kind of reacted against my resume (I met with a family friend who gave me candid advice that I seemed too "fight the man" to be there), I took it off my resume. I went to this V5 firm (where I ended up SAing) and they were like, WHAT DID YOU DO IN COLLEGE? So I told them about DANY and taking that stuff off. They said to me, we want to know you are passionate about things and driven. You don't want to work at any place that would judge you or not want you to be passionate about the things you care about. Be proud of what you've accomplished, and you will be happier for it. Definitely true. Firms want diversity of experience, and honestly, I think working on transgender issues (if the firm is reputable, especially if it is in a liberal city) will make you stand out in the sea of DOJ jobs. Be prepared for questions like, you are so public interest, why the private sector? Try to educate yourself on some of the firm's cool pro-bono work/any scholarships or fellowships they sponsor, and say something like, well I want to work somewhere with smart people where I have the resources to do great work in the pro bono area, but I realized after this summer that that work is not what I want to commit myself to full time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:When I was an undergrad, I was interviewing for paralegal jobs. I interviewed at DANY, and at a big V5 law firm. I was in leadership in two organizations that were very progressive (SJP and a sexual health group). After DANY kind of reacted against my resume (I met with a family friend who gave me candid advice that I seemed too "fight the man" to be there), I took it off my resume. I went to this V5 firm (where I ended up SAing) and they were like, WHAT DID YOU DO IN COLLEGE? So I told them about DANY and taking that stuff off. They said to me, we want to know you are passionate about things and driven. You don't want to work at any place that would judge you or not want you to be passionate about the things you care about. Be proud of what you've accomplished, and you will be happier for it. Definitely true. Firms want diversity of experience, and honestly, I think working on transgender issues (if the firm is reputable, especially if it is in a liberal city) will make you stand out in the sea of DOJ jobs. Be prepared for questions like, you are so public interest, why the private sector? Try to educate yourself on some of the firm's cool pro-bono work/any scholarships or fellowships they sponsor, and say something like, well I want to work somewhere with smart people where I have the resources to do great work in the pro bono area, but I realized after this summer that that work is not what I want to commit myself to full time.

This is terrible advice. Don't talk about pro bono in your interviews except as a short hat tip. Your pro bono work should - ideally - be a very small portion of your total work and used opportunistically to develop skills that you can't do pushing paper for paying litigation clients.

Look, ultimately all top firms are grade whores. We know half of y'all are leaving in 3 years and if someone has grades and social skills, they'll get an offer even if no one thinks that they're "into" the work or that they'll stick around. But that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt your application to come off as someone who would rather be doing public interest work, but just needs the $$ to pay back loans. Because while that's probably true for 50%+ of the applicants, nearly all of them have the professionalism to construct a convincing narrative about wanting to do the work that we do, and not the work that someone else does.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:10 pm

Worked at a place with LGBT in the title 1L summer. No issues to my knowledge, and it seemed to be a plus during OCI, but yeah you have to find a way to make a consistent narrative about how you want to end up at Firm X. You can obviously do that, but it's a little trickier to craft that story than if you did commercial work 1L summer. But ultimately I don't think it's a huge deal. PM if you want to talk more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:05 pm

worked at a place with trans in the title for 1L summer. got V10 offers during OCI with borderline grades. it's fine and a good talking point. tho people might think ur gay even if ur not (not nec bad, but awk when you're invited to gay firm events and you're fearful of misrepresenting yourself)

Return to “Legal Employment”