From Law to Social Work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:53 pm

Are MSW programs graded on a forced curve like lawl school?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are MSW programs graded on a forced curve like lawl school?


No, there's rampant grade inflation like most master's programs. Grades don't really matter for social work hiring though.

Anonymous User wrote:What are good sources for scoping out social work jobs other than Idealist?


NASW has a job bank

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are MSW programs graded on a forced curve like lawl school?


No, there's rampant grade inflation like most master's programs. Grades don't really matter for social work hiring though.

Anonymous User wrote:What are good sources for scoping out social work jobs other than Idealist?


NASW has a job bank


Thanks. How much do social workers with just a bachelors usually earn? Not 100% sure I want the MSW on top of my JD unless it would merit a significant pay bump or bring more opportunities.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:21 pm

Depends what you're doing. In child protection, bachelor's level and master's level make pretty much the same at the starting level (like 40-50k, probably upwards to 60k in big cities like SF or NYC) but upward mobility is much different. In private mental health/chemical dependency/family services, no one makes shit unless you're a therapist/some sort of managerial staff. Probably looking more at like 20 to 30k there. In the medical field/hospital social work, they dont really hire people w/o a masters (at least ime), In my experience doing stuff like teaching parenting classes, case management, working info and referral lines, I made around 30-35k per year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Between social work and teaching, which field is less glutted? Which is more likely to lead to a FTLT job? I need to figure out a plan ASAP if my C&F shit doesn't work out. Help please.

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2090
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:57 pm

This thread should absolutely terrify anyone about to enroll in law school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:00 pm

What's wrong with pursuing a career in social work? Too lowly for you BigLawl associates?

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14413
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's wrong with pursuing a career in social work? Too lowly for you BigLawl associates?


Yes actually.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's wrong with pursuing a career in social work? Too lowly for you BigLawl associates?


Yes actually.


IDGAF. I'm graduating with 0 debt and want to keep my options open, whether it's social work or teaching.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby bjsesq » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's wrong with pursuing a career in social work? Too lowly for you BigLawl associates?

It pays shit and is high stress. The one benefit that it has going for it in the context of a recent grad with high debt is that the job usually falls under the government or 501c3 and gives you a chance at making ends meet with paye and pslf.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14413
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's wrong with pursuing a career in social work? Too lowly for you BigLawl associates?


Yes actually.


IDGAF. I'm graduating with 0 debt and want to keep my options open, whether it's social work or teaching.


Why limit yourself to jobs that force you to live in squalor.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's wrong with pursuing a career in social work? Too lowly for you BigLawl associates?


Yes actually.


IDGAF. I'm graduating with 0 debt and want to keep my options open, whether it's social work or teaching.


Why limit yourself to jobs that force you to live in squalor.


Because maybe some people want jerbs that entail some sort of noble purpose?

Also, those jerbs are most in line with my pre-law and legal experience.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:55 pm

When it comes to obtaining social work jobs, does ranking of the MSW program matter as school ranking does in law? Do your job prospects differ depending on where you go?

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2090
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's wrong with pursuing a career in social work? Too lowly for you BigLawl associates?


The problem is that you wasted three years of your life in law school. I have nothing against social work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's wrong with pursuing a career in social work? Too lowly for you BigLawl associates?


The problem is that you wasted three years of your life in law school. I have nothing against social work.


A JD is not a disadvantage and could possibly be a plus when it comes to social work jerbs. Did people who work in compliance/politics/finance "waste" three years of their lives in lawl school?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15411
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby sublime » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:03 pm

..

User avatar
ExBiglawAssociate
Posts: 2090
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's wrong with pursuing a career in social work? Too lowly for you BigLawl associates?


The problem is that you wasted three years of your life in law school. I have nothing against social work.


A JD is not a disadvantage and could possibly be a plus when it comes to social work jerbs. Did people who work in compliance/politics/finance "waste" three years of their lives in lawl school?


It's not essential, and yes, everyone doing something that could be obtained without a law degree immediately after law school "wasted" their time to some extent. Three years of your life is not worth a slightly better chance at some god awful, shitty 40k job. You could have spent those three years actually helping people as a volunteer or some other job that relates to social work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's wrong with pursuing a career in social work? Too lowly for you BigLawl associates?


The problem is that you wasted three years of your life in law school. I have nothing against social work.


A JD is not a disadvantage and could possibly be a plus when it comes to social work jerbs. Did people who work in compliance/politics/finance "waste" three years of their lives in lawl school?


It's not essential, and yes, everyone doing something that could be obtained without a law degree immediately after law school "wasted" their time to some extent. Three years of your life is not worth a slightly better chance at some god awful, shitty 40k job. You could have spent those three years actually helping people as a volunteer or some other job that relates to social work.


I volunteered with Legal Aid throughout lawl school--during the school year and in the summers. That experience, working with the poor, victims of trauma, youth, and immigrants, is highly relevant to social work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:24 pm

I see some social work positions saying that they want a bachelor's degree in "social work or a related field". I majored in undergrad in Sociology and Anthropology--are those considered related fields?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:37 am

Will it be tough to get into an MSW program if I have a low law GPA? (3.006)? UG GPA is strong (magna, Phi Beta Kappa).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273265
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: From Law to Social Work

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 9:13 am

I want to apply to MSW programs. Should I list on my resume my legal internships and the fact that I completed only 58 credits of my JD? Will the fact that I left my JD program mid-way raise red flags?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.