Poll: for those who accepted a 1L SA at a V100, when did you Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

When did you apply for the 1L SA you accepted?

Dec 1
47%
Dec 2-7
6%
Dec 8-15
12%
Dec 16-23
No votes
Dec 24-31
6%
Jan 1-7
6%
Jan 7-14
6%
Jan 15+
18%

Total votes: 17

Anonymous User

Poll: for those who accepted a 1L SA at a V100, when did you

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:18 am

Spoke with a few people. Seems like there may be a trend.

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Re: Poll: for those who accepted a 1L SA at a V100, when did you

Post by juzam_djinn » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:38 am

correlation DNE causation...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:56 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:correlation DNE causation...
Obviously. But it does seem like everyone I've personally talked to who have V100 jobs lined up submitted their apps on Dec. 1st or within the first week of Dec. I don't think it necessarily increases your chances dramatically by applying within the first week versus later on (although the V30 job I got only had 1 position, so applying early for me was obviously an advantage), but there does seem to be a correlation, even a minor one, between strong applicants and their taking the initiative to get their apps in very early.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Obviously. But it does seem like everyone I've personally talked to who have V100 jobs lined up submitted their apps on Dec. 1st or within the first week of Dec. I don't think it necessarily increases your chances dramatically by applying within the first week versus later on (although the V30 job I got only had 1 position, so applying early for me was obviously an advantage), but there does seem to be a correlation, even a minor one, between strong applicants and their taking the initiative to get their apps in very early.
the advice everyone has always given 1Ls is to apply on Dec. 1. everyone knows this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Cobretti wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
the advice everyone has always given 1Ls is to apply on Dec. 1. everyone knows this.
I agree and it's great advice. But I would say at least 90% of my classmates didn't begin to apply on Dec. 1st. Many/most didn't start sending out law firm apps until well into January (they "wanted to enjoy break/focus on finals"...). We're all told we should apply Dec. 1st, but few are willing to put in the work to get it done while also dealing with finals. To me, I probably only spent 10-15 hours max spread out over 3 weeks prior to Dec. 1st to draft cover letters and get all my application stuff in order, then a couple hours early in the morning of Dec. 1. To me, it was a fun and enjoyable break from briefing during mid/late Nov.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I agree and it's great advice. But I would say at least 90% of my classmates didn't begin to apply on Dec. 1st. Many/most didn't start sending out law firm apps until well into January (they "wanted to enjoy break/focus on finals"...). We're all told we should apply Dec. 1st, but few are willing to put in the work to get it done while also dealing with finals. To me, I probably only spent 10-15 hours max spread out over 3 weeks prior to Dec. 1st to draft cover letters and get all my application stuff in order, then a couple hours early in the morning of Dec. 1. To me, it was a fun and enjoyable break from briefing during mid/late Nov.
easy now anon, this is getting very paul reubens circa '91-ish

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Post by juzam_djinn » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:31 pm

There might be some firms where they weed out the field by literally not looking at anything postmarked after Dec. 1

However, if you have top fall semester grades from a top school and/or good pre-LS work experience, it really won't matter if you apply a few weeks later

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:58 am

At least in Texas markets, there are several firms that extended offers to those who applied after January. That being said, there were just as many people who got their offers December, although I'm not sure if that was by virtue of strong WE/URM/prestigious-undergrad/etc.

In any event, most interviews have come from places I sent apps to Dec. 1, so if anyone in the future ever comes through, just send them out as early as possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:56 am

I applied the second week of January, interviewed in late January, received an offer the first week of February.

Also, applied to a bunch of other firms in mid-January/late-January, and started to get a bunch of phone screeners and call-backs the first week of February. Withdrew from other places since I accepted the above offer.

I think it definitely can be done even "late" in the game if you have a strong resume and grades. I'm at Berkeley without ranking, but I think I'm at least in the top 25%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”