Current Students: When'd you get your 1L NON-FIRM sum. offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Current Students: When'd you get your 1L NON-FIRM sum. offer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:28 pm

To current students only (1L, 2L, 3L) - as those who have graduated will have experienced this in a different economy.

For those who received offers for non-firm jobs for their 1L summer (judges, non-profits, state and federal government, associations, corporate), what kind of timeline did you experience in terms of applying, interviews, and offers?

Anonymous User

Re: Current Students: When'd you get your 1L NON-FIRM sum. offer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To current students only (1L, 2L, 3L) - as those who have graduated will have experienced this in a different economy.

For those who received offers for non-firm jobs for their 1L summer (judges, non-profits, state and federal government, associations, corporate), what kind of timeline did you experience in terms of applying, interviews, and offers?
Got a judge internship lined up in early January through networking with current clerks. Probably sent stuff in early December. Got the offer before grades.

Mah bestie got a non-profit by applying through Symplicity second week of January. Skype interview with offer at the end.

It will help you to be more specific with your inquiry - is there something specific you want to know?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:33 pm

KM2016

Bronze

Post by KM2016 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:35 pm

If I recall correctly, I found my paid 1L small/mid-sized firm job through Symplicity. I think I applied in February, was interviewed in mid-March, and was offered very shortly thereafter.

If you're asking this because you're freaking out, it's too early to freak out. A lot of companies and smaller firms are just now thinking about their summer hiring needs. And while federal judicial externships are probably mostly filled, there's always state judicial externships, PI, or RAing for a professor.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:36 pm

got mine Dec 1

srs

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:38 pm

State judge toward the end of March, and RA position later than that.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:47 pm

My nonprofit (NYC) has not hired interns yet, at least not in my unit, though we are currently getting applications. I would say you guys are fine and it is very early to worry.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 pm

I got my in house offer April 16th. Was definitely freaking out by then.

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:24 pm

SDNY/EDNY judge applications sent out on January 8th last year. Received two interviews and a request for grades about a week later. I did one interview at the end of that week and had an offer from that judge the next week.
Last edited by Avian on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:33 pm

Mid-april for a fellowship.

I held out for what I wanted (either in-house corporate somewhere with a good name or a high paying fellowship), but it made second semester of 1L suck.

I think it hurt my grades, but I also think my 1L job helped me get v10 offers. So, a trade-off.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mid-april for a fellowship.

I held out for what I wanted (either in-house corporate somewhere with a good name or a high paying fellowship), but it made second semester of 1L suck.

I think it hurt my grades, but I also think my 1L job helped me get v10 offers. So, a trade-off.
Curious as to how you think your 1L job helped your OCI offers? Of course my perspective is very limited but quality of 1L job had no real correlation with the quality of someone's Vnumber from what I have seen.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Interviewed for the internship position on February 1--offered on the spot and accepted the same day. Immigration legal aid.

But the echo others, it is way too early to feel worried.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:54 pm

T14 2L here. Got a federal judge internship mid-February last year with below median grades (on the spot offer after phone interview). I would echo not to worry--it's still really early and even many firm jobs will still be available at this stage. Judges and public interest are definitely open, as are research associate positions.

Also, don't be disheartened if your 1L job doesn't turn out the way you want. Your perspective will likely change after the summer. When I got my 1L fall grades and the offer for the internship, I took it but was upset that I didn't perform well enough to get an SA which I had interviewed for over winter break. I killed it second semester and I'll be at a V10 this summer. I believe part of the reason I will be there is because I worked for a judge and because I had a great experience in chambers. Don't count things out just because it's not the path you envisioned you would take.

Anon because grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:01 pm

Got my SEC gig in February. I think it definitely helped during OCI. Gave me something with substance to talk about with transnational partners. Don't think working in a DA's office or doing a judicial internship would have been nearly as useful. Of course, for OCI, it's all about selling your narrative. So maybe I could have sold something entirely different just as well.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:16 pm

I never got an offer. Had to pay people for experience both summers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:26 pm

applied mid-February for a PD internship. Got interview scheduled for beginning of March. Received on the spot offer.

bailey8078

Bronze

Post by bailey8078 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Venture Capital internship through Simplicity in May (other offer fell through)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:33 pm

minnbills wrote:I never got an offer. Had to pay people for experience both summers.
What kind of shitboomery is this? :?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Well, if you get an unpaid PI gig and do it as an externship for credit (so you can get student loans), you have to pay to take classes, so lots of people end up paying to get experience. (I guess that's mostly judicial stuff since hopefully you can get some kind of funding for other unpaid PI.)

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Well, if you get an unpaid PI gig and do it as an externship for credit (so you can get student loans), you have to pay to take classes, so lots of people end up paying to get experience. (I guess that's mostly judicial stuff since hopefully you can get some kind of funding for other unpaid PI.)
Ahh, gotcha. I though minnbills actually paid his 1L and 2L summer employers for "experience".

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:39 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Well, if you get an unpaid PI gig and do it as an externship for credit (so you can get student loans), you have to pay to take classes, so lots of people end up paying to get experience. (I guess that's mostly judicial stuff since hopefully you can get some kind of funding for other unpaid PI.)
Ahh, gotcha. I though minnbills actually paid his 1L and 2L summer employers for "experience".
One was the judiciary and the other was corporate. School got the $$

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:12 pm

Back to back posts:
Anonymous User wrote: I killed it second semester and I'll be at a V10 this summer. I believe part of the reason I will be there is because I worked for a judge and because I had a great experience in chambers.
Anonymous User wrote:Got my SEC gig in February. I think it definitely helped during OCI...Don't think working in a DA's office or doing a judicial internship would have been nearly as useful.
:)

Jaymore

New

Post by Jaymore » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:43 pm

mid-April for a judicial clerkship. Interviewed in March.

BVest

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by BVest » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:01 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”