Will a DUI get you disbarred

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will a DUI get you disbarred

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:53 pm

To clarify, I'm not talking about a DUI occurring before passing the bar. But, hypothetically, suppose a 3rd year associate got a DUI -- what would the repercussions be?

Anonymous User

Re: Will a DUI get you disbarred

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:... what would the repercussions be?

States may vary. But probably nothing. Attorney's and judges get DUIs all the time. Don't get another one, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:29 am

lol. like that barbri lecturer says in his talk for the MPRE, once you're part of the club they cut you more slack. I think there have been like 3 Bronx DAs caught with drugs or alcohol-while driving- who weren't even suspended, and the office stood up for them. So, to answer your question, i don't think DUI can cause disbarment by itself, but I don't know about a string of DUIs or DUI in conjunction with a serious accident.

Dont do it. Remember what happened to the main character in Oz?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:34 am

DUI won't get your disbarred. Not close. Someone can get through C&F with a prior DUI, too. They will probably have to go in and explain it to the Board of Law Examiners, but they'll still get in.

Once you're there, I doubt you get disbarred for even a 2nd DUI, although there will probably be some period of suspension. There is a guy who used to be a DA who got his 2nd DUI in a nearby jurisdiction that is still practicing. I think the Bar Association is just slow to mete out punishment, but he was sentenced on his prior DUI like 8 months ago. Had to resign from his job as a prosecutor, but got hired immediately by a defense firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:58 pm

Kronk wrote:DUI won't get your disbarred. Not close. Someone can get through C&F with a prior DUI, too. They will probably have to go in and explain it to the Board of Law Examiners, but they'll still get in.

Once you're there, I doubt you get disbarred for even a 2nd DUI, although there will probably be some period of suspension. There is a guy who used to be a DA who got his 2nd DUI in a nearby jurisdiction that is still practicing. I think the Bar Association is just slow to mete out punishment, but he was sentenced on his prior DUI like 8 months ago. Had to resign from his job as a prosecutor, but got hired immediately by a defense firm.

I had a DUI at age 20, disclosed to law school and bar app, never was called in to explain and its never been an issue.

A solitary DUI isn't going to be harmful. Second or more though, then you've got issues.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:02 pm

under 21 duis are pretty dumb though. u can be like 0.01 and ur fucked

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Kronk wrote:Had to resign from his job as a prosecutor, but got hired immediately by a defense firm.

more evidence for my theory that the best dui lawyers have a couple

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:01 pm

fats provolone wrote:under 21 duis are pretty dumb though. u can be like 0.01 and ur fucked

Yeah, but I blew .14. And this was at a time when state limit was still .1. So yeah - craziest part is, I've driven way drunker before. Learned that lesson though and haven't repeated.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:08 pm

fats provolone wrote:under 21 duis are pretty dumb though. u can be like 0.01 and ur fucked

At least in CO an under 21 DUI where the BAC is under the 21yo limit is a different charge and doesn't count as a prior DUI or anything if you get a 2nd. If you blow over the limit you are just charged with normal DUI + MIP.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:12 pm

Kronk wrote:

At least in CO an under 21 DUI where the BAC is under the 21yo limit is a different charge and doesn't count as a prior DUI or anything if you get a 2nd. If you blow over the limit you are just charged with normal DUI + MIP.

yea that's more reasonable. in GA it's the same offense. my friend's bro blew like .02 driving home the day after a party and lost his license for a year. got a real dui years later and it counted as a 2d

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:27 pm

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:05 pm

fats provolone wrote:
Kronk wrote:Had to resign from his job as a prosecutor, but got hired immediately by a defense firm.

You'd think the best dui lawyers would have none, since they presumably would beat their own dui cases. I wouldn't hire a dui attorney who has a couple dui convictions (I mean if the guy sucks enough that he can't even get himself out of dui's, he's probably not a very good dui attorney).

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:06 pm

nah it's like method acting you gotta go all in

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:09 pm

fats provolone wrote:nah it's like method acting you gotta go all in

:lol: :lol:

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Disbarred?

LOL!

Hell no. If that was the case half the Bar in general would've had their licenses snatched a long time ago.

david koham

Postby david koham » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:54 am

mod edit: SPAM can get you disbarred but its sure that they can get you out of trouble if you are found a felony of drunk driving.

JAYINSD

Postby JAYINSD » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:17 am

Kivan wrote:Disbarred?

LOL!

Hell no. If that was the case half the Bar in general would've had their licenses snatched a long time ago.

haha so true

neha_648

Postby neha_648 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:08 am

A word of mouth reference is the best option for DUI/DWI. If a friend, colleague, or acquaintance has hired a drunk driving attorney in the past, speak to them and explain your situation. Ask them details about their case and ascertain if the lawyer was able to get them a reduced charge. If this person was successful in contesting their case, make an appointment to speak with the attorney.
Get in touch in detail here
SPAM

haus

Postby haus » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:11 am

Kivan wrote:Disbarred?

LOL!

Well, that would be one way to address the number of unemployed/underemployed members of the Bar (or at least for those who are left).

myronmessinger

Postby myronmessinger » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:41 am

mod edit: spam

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:07 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
fats provolone wrote:

You'd think the best dui lawyers would have none, since they presumably would beat their own dui cases. I wouldn't hire a dui attorney who has a couple dui convictions (I mean if the guy sucks enough that he can't even get himself out of dui's, he's probably not a very good dui attorney).

I've handled over 100 DUI cases at this point, and the above point of view is very misguided. The best DUI defense attorney can't just "get someone out of a DUI". You can check for every suppression issue possible: Bad stop? No probable cause to pull out of the car? No probable cause to arrest? Improper field sobriety testing procedures? Statements after arrest but before Miranda (There is no Miranda issue prior to arrest in my jurisdiction, cops can ask you anything).You can check the breathalyzer calibration and hope that it wasn't properly tested for accuracy or calibration. You can check to make sure the solutions used on the test were proper, standard deviation was proper, and they were independently tested by another lab. You can check to make sure the breathalyzer was administered within 2 hours of the stop. Etc etc etc.

At the end of the day, substantially more times than not, all of the above won't exist. The cops did their job, there are no suppression issues you have any chance in hell in winning, and the breathalyzer had no problems. About 80-90% of DUIs plead out, and thats because there is no defense and the prosecution is offering the minimum statutory sentence if you plead guilty, or you can go to trial, lose, and then get sentenced to anything between the minimum and the maximum.

So yeah, it doesn't really matter how good of a DUI attorney you are, even the absolute best and most respected DUI attorneys in town have their clients plead guilty more times than not. Law students often have this common misconception that the best attorneys can get clients out of anything. This idea is blatantly false.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:15 am

I've known quite a few attorneys with a long list of DUIs and alcohol related convictions, but no bar sanctions. Most were much older though and it's possible that tolerance has gone down.

Anyway, I'm a recovering alcoholic. I'm not saying you have an issue (only you can know that), but if you have any questions/need to talk, PM me.

Return to “Legal Employment”