SA internal bio

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA internal bio

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:10 pm

I'm doing an SA in a big city in the south. The firm asked me to write up a little fun facts paragraph to go in the SA photo directory that they'll pass around to all the attorneys. I'll be one of only three SA's, so I imagine a few people might actually skim it.

I drink a lot of whiskey. Is it cool to put in something like "whiskey enthusiast." Or should I wait until I hit midlevel to unveil my tyrannical alcoholic side. Am I thinking too hard about this.

ETA: I'm considering it/concerned because I think I could have a good convo about it with someone who also likes to drink, but also concerned because some puritan partner or something might find it unbecoming/inappropriate
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baal hadad

Re: SA internal bio

Postby baal hadad » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Don't put whiskey enthusiast bc people will think u have a shit palette and just drink whatever everyone else says is good

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing an SA in a big city in the south. The firm asked me to write up a little fun facts paragraph to go in the SA photo directory that they'll pass around to all the attorneys. I'll be one of only three SA's, so I imagine a few people might actually skim it.

I drink a lot of whiskey. Is it cool to put in something like "whiskey enthusiast." Or should I wait until I hit midlevel to unveil my tyrannical alcoholic side. Am I thinking too hard about this.

ETA: I'm considering it/concerned because I think I could have a good convo about it with someone who also likes to drink, but also concerned because some puritan partner or something might find it unbecoming/inappropriate

Don't do that unless you know your shit. I drink a lot of whiskey too, but I couldn't tell you the difference between rye and bourbon let alone the nuances between the different bourbons and ryes. Just put fantasy football like everyone else bro. Unless you're prepared to be grilled by real whiskey enthusiasts who know that shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing an SA in a big city in the south. The firm asked me to write up a little fun facts paragraph to go in the SA photo directory that they'll pass around to all the attorneys. I'll be one of only three SA's, so I imagine a few people might actually skim it.

Don't do that unless you know your shit. I drink a lot of whiskey too, but I couldn't tell you the difference between rye and bourbon let alone the nuances between the different bourbons and ryes. Just put fantasy football like everyone else bro. Unless you're prepared to be grilled by real whiskey enthusiasts who know that shit.

Done. Good point. I don't have enough cash to have developed that nuanced a palate to be able to have that level of conversation. I was thinking that I'd be able to get by with "yeah I really like the smokey scotches from Islay (probably pronounced wrong)" but yeah that probably won't be enough

Glad I asked

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:59 pm

I'm gonna jump in here. I love the NYRB - if I put that in my bio will people assume I'm dogwhistling "democrat?"

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:37 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:Just put fantasy football like everyone else bro. Unless you're prepared to be grilled by real whiskey enthusiasts who know that shit.

I had a partner - during a screener - grill me on some tough FF questions. Asked me who I would pick up with a the first 8th overall pick in a 12 team full point PPR league. Waited for me to literally list off the 7 players who were likely to come off the board and what players I thought represented good value or low risk at 8th overall.

He took notes too.

So, yeah, you scrub, you better be mock drafting and memorizing ADP right about now.

Return to “Legal Employment”