NRF v. VE (Houston)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hakeemthedream

NRF v. VE (Houston)

Postby hakeemthedream » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Found today I have two offers for summer first-half; Houston; solely interested in litigation; what do I do; please help/give me reasoning why I should choose either firm?

DoubleChecks

Re: NRF v. VE (Houston)

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:10 pm

hakeemthedream wrote:Found today I have two offers for summer first-half; Houston; solely interested in litigation; what do I do; please help/give me reasoning why I should choose either firm?

My gut was to say VE, but you did say solely interested in litigation...hmm...

Last I heard, VE and BB were gearing away from litigation, while I do know NRF, or at least FJ, always had a soft spot for litigation in its practice haha. Probably part of the reason why their finances somewhat tanked a few years ago.

I would check to see NRF's financial stability (Houston office specifically) and confirm that they are still very much focused on litigation. If those pan out, I'd take NRF over VE. Getting BB or VE lit offers are harder today due to their focus shifting away from it...and it is troublesome to be in a practice group the firm itself views as "not the future" in its strategic focus.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:44 pm

^ this post pretty much aligns with what Ive heard

I think I'd probably take the V&E offer and try to convince myself to at least be open to transactional work

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:50 pm

I turned down V&E because I was litigation focused.Same reasons as above poster. I would have taken NRF over V&E. One thing to ask is how many of their 1Ls they offered last year (I'm assuming you're a 1L). If there's no meaningful difference in those numbers, take NRF.

BearLaw

Postby BearLaw » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:30 am

If you seriously want Litigation, take NRF. If you think you might want to try transactional, at all, go V&E. V&E is head and shoulders above NRF in transactional work in Houston, but they have almost no litigation department anymore.

I know NRF had at least one 1L last summer, and invited them back for their 2L summer. Not sure how many others they may have had, or V&E numbers.

PM me if you want more insight about Houston firms.

hakeemthedream

Postby hakeemthedream » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Right on. Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:41 pm

Word on the street is that NRF over-hired 2Ls to its corporate/M&A sections this year and they might not even be making many/any offers next year for corporate.

Return to “Legal Employment”