PILC Fair!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

PILC Fair!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:22 pm

It's PILC Fair time! Happy with your schedule? Anyone know what table talk is like?

16 apps highly targeted to my background, 5 interviews (1 pulled off the waitlist tonight), 2 left on the waitlist. Let's gogogo!

-Scout Finch

Anonymous User

Re: PILC Fair!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:45 pm

8 interviews, 3 waitlists. 32 apps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:05 am

3 applications, 2 interviews, 1 waitlist.

...I probably should have sent out more applications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:03 am

Anyone participating who doesn't plan on going into PI long-term? If so, have you thought about how you're going to frame your answer to "Why Law?"

-Scout Finch

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:03 pm

Good luck tomorrow!

-Scout Finch

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:38 pm

Luck to you guys tomorrow! My nonprofit will be at table talk both days (no formal interviews), so I may see a few TLS people stopping by our table.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone participating who doesn't plan on going into PI long-term? If so, have you thought about how you're going to frame your answer to "Why Law?"

-Scout Finch

I don't know what i want to do post-graduation, but I know I want to try out PI work and x org is great for xyz

i dont know

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone participating who doesn't plan on going into PI long-term? If so, have you thought about how you're going to frame your answer to "Why Law?"

-Scout Finch

I don't know what i want to do post-graduation, but I know I want to try out PI work and x org is great for xyz

i dont know

I wonder how much it would hurt to be candid. I don't have any interest in working in PI after graduation. But these organizations do great work that I admire. I know that, even when I'm working in the private sector, I'd like to work on these issues. Though that's true, maybe it comes off as even more disingenuous than "I haven't figured out what I want to do"...

-Scout Finch

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:37 am

When is table talk? I have one interview for actual job at the end of the fair. What time should I come on Friday to network? I really only want state/city agencies, no legal aid type stuff

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:When is table talk? I have one interview for actual job at the end of the fair. What time should I come on Friday to network? I really only want state/city agencies, no legal aid type stuff

Table talk happens all day, both days of the fair, but if there are particular employers you are into you may want to look up their schedule cause they're not all there both days. End of Friday is a bad idea because a lot of the table talkers are worn out and will be grumpy. Morning and early afternoon are a lot better.

If you play your cards right table talk can do a lot for you - I got a couple interviews and even an offer out of federal/city agencies through table talk, just talking about what the summer positions were like and expressing interest in them related to stuff I'd done during 1L or before law school. A lot of more competitive employers aren't at all interested in hiring through table talk though, so it's easy to get discouraged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When is table talk? I have one interview for actual job at the end of the fair. What time should I come on Friday to network? I really only want state/city agencies, no legal aid type stuff

Table talk happens all day, both days of the fair, but if there are particular employers you are into you may want to look up their schedule cause they're not all there both days. End of Friday is a bad idea because a lot of the table talkers are worn out and will be grumpy. Morning and early afternoon are a lot better.

If you play your cards right table talk can do a lot for you - I got a couple interviews and even an offer out of federal/city agencies through table talk, just talking about what the summer positions were like and expressing interest in them related to stuff I'd done during 1L or before law school. A lot of more competitive employers aren't at all interested in hiring through table talk though, so it's easy to get discouraged.

To make it clear- I'm a graduating 3L and I'm only interested in post-graduate jobs.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

-Scout Finch

i dont know

I wonder how much it would hurt to be candid. I don't have any interest in working in PI after graduation. But these organizations do great work that I admire. I know that, even when I'm working in the private sector, I'd like to work on these issues. Though that's true, maybe it comes off as even more disingenuous than "I haven't figured out what I want to do"...

-Scout Finch

I would not say this. Why would a PI org hire someone who says this as opposed to someone who is gungho PI, which will be plenty of people there? Whenever you're interviewing for a job, that's the only thing in the world you want to do with your life. If you don't want to say "I'm sure I want to do PI for the rest of my life amen," that's fine, but don't say you have no interest in doing the work permanently. It's just a turn-off.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:05 pm

This is like, really fun. I'm having a good time.

Postby 03152016 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:37 pm

ya philly i agree
my interviews today were unquestionably more laid back and conversational than firm ones
met some really interesting people doing amazing things in law, it's awesome

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:36 pm

I would advise people to focus on the positive-- IE, the PI areas you are substantively interested in, instead of talking about the future, given that most 1Ls and 2Ls don't know what they want to do post graduation. Nothing wrong with directing your interviews to talk about the present! I was leaning PI from the beginning (and eventually became a PI staff attorney), but I was not sure. I also tried my hand at other things before returning to public service work as a 2L summer intern and graduate fellow.

For those of you who will be at the PILC Fair tomorrow, definitely come to table talk! Feel free to shoot me a PM. I will be there again tomorrow morning with my org.

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:42 pm

Three interviews tomorrow (would have had four but I dropped one in hopes that it would free up space for a waitlist, which ended up working). I was being way too picky and only applied to probably eight places, but I'm really excited about the organizations I'm interviewing with! I'll probably also do table talk in my free time tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:16 pm

pretty dissapointed. table talked with a few people, thought it went really well, said that im looking for a job in the fall (3l here). i got reply emails saying thank you very much, hope you apply for an internship with us. :evil:

Postby 03152016 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:19 pm

any interviews scheduled through bidding? i'm still waiting to hear back from several of the orgs i interviewed with, some were saying the timeframe was going to be 1-2 weeks for a decision. it may still be too early to be disappointed.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:42 pm

Brut wrote:any interviews scheduled through bidding? i'm still waiting to hear back from several of the orgs i interviewed with, some were saying the timeframe was going to be 1-2 weeks for a decision. it may still be too early to be disappointed.

I still haven't heard back from anywhere and I know a few people with a ton of interviews in the same boat.

OTOH I know quite a few people with offers already.

Tomasz

Postby Tomasz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:05 pm

just wondering if anyone has heard anything? I thought my interviews went really well but haven't gotten any emails or calls.

When should I start to worry about not having any calls... with anything ... anywhere :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Tomasz wrote:just wondering if anyone has heard anything? I thought my interviews went really well but haven't gotten any emails or calls.

When should I start to worry about not having any calls... with anything ... anywhere :(

I was an employer at the PILC fair, and we've already sent out our first round of offers but don't expect to get everyone we've made an offer to. The PILC fair requires employers to leave offers open for 2 weeks, so there's a pretty substantial lag between first round and second round offers.

Also, a decent number of employers aren't ready to make offers at the end of the PILC fair because they are still collecting applications/interviewing, so there will be a wait to hear back from those employers as well.

That said, you should still be applying to places until you land a job. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”