CCN 2L. Struck out at OCI. In-house summer / 3L OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CCN 2L. Struck out at OCI. In-house summer / 3L OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:45 am

I'm a 2L at one of CCN. I struck out at OCI. There were various things that probably contributed, but a big one is that my 1L grades were poor (bottom fourth or fifth). My fall 2L grades weren't great (30-40th percentile) but marginally better, I guess. I have no idea how I'll do this semester. Some of the other problems were a weak resume in general and interviewing for transactional positions with only an interest, no background or knowledge. Which brings me to the main point of this thread.

I have an offer to work in-house at a company in my target market for my 2L summer.

1. How much of a thing is 3L OCI at CCN?
2. Is in-house a decent way to spend a 2L summer for an OCI strike-out who still hopes to do transactional work at a big firm?

MCFC

Re: CCN 2L. Struck out at OCI. In-house summer / 3L OCI?

Postby MCFC » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:45 am

I know these aren't hard stats, but here's last years 3L OCI thread if you're interested: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=233826

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:30 am

From personal experience (why anonymous), I think that going in house can provide opportunities of networking with outside counsel and forming relationships with those people. Also, you will most likely be able to form good relationships with your bosses if you work in house who are going to be willing to write you recommendations or may actually have relationships with counsel at big firms, depending on the place you will be working. I was able to turn an in house gig into getting interviews with a big law firms prior to 3L (outside of OCI).

lonerider

Postby lonerider » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:25 pm

I can't speak for CCN, but I can talk to you about NYU. If that's your school, PM me.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:40 pm

you also want a contingency plan in the event 3l oci doesn't works out. Will the in house possibly lead to an f/t offer? when you're dealing with things that aren't like likely to happen in most cases you want to have several possibilities to increase the odds that one of them happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:36 pm

Thanks everyone.

MCFC wrote:I know these aren't hard stats, but here's last years 3L OCI thread if you're interested: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=233826

This is very helpful. I didn't know it existed!

AReasonableMan wrote:you also want a contingency plan in the event 3l oci doesn't works out. Will the in house possibly lead to an f/t offer? when you're dealing with things that aren't like likely to happen in most cases you want to have several possibilities to increase the odds that one of them happens.

It probably will not lead to a full-time offer. I'm aware 3L OCI is far from certain, but it's the best I've got right now. If it fails, I'll apply to everything everywhere throughout 3L.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:46 pm

Corporate work is pretty hot right now so you've got the right focus. Load up on corporate classes and really try to get those grades up.

BTW, "3L OCI" really means "Mass Mailing." As soon as you have your awesome grades spend all of July mass mailing firms throughout the country, emphasizing your corporate focus.

Return to “Legal Employment”