Time off for bar study?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Time off for bar study?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:26 pm

I am taking the February bar and I'm realizing I am going to fail unless I have more time. Do most big firms have a policy regarding time off for bar study? I am going to call recruiting/HR but I want to know in advance what to expect. Please post even if you just heard from a friend of a friend.

Thanks in advance.

minnbills

Re: Time off for bar study?

Postby minnbills » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:46 pm

I think most/many firms do give time off.

I am studying for the feb bar as well, and yeah I feel like I will fail. At this point I am just focusing on the bare-bones of each subject

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:49 pm

minnbills wrote:I think most/many firms do give time off.

I am studying for the feb bar as well, and yeah I feel like I will fail. At this point I am just focusing on the bare-bones of each subject

Hey but big firms usually give you an extra opportunity to pass it before they show you the door, right? I might take in February but I would feel a lot more comfortable if I took it later next year

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:09 pm

mvp99 wrote:

Hey but big firms usually give you an extra opportunity to pass it before they show you the door, right? I might take in February but I would feel a lot more comfortable if I took it later next year

OP here. They give new associates two chances. I don't want to find out whether they have a policy for laterals :). OTOH, unlike a new first year, at least I've shown I can pass a bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:

OP here. They give new associates two chances. I don't want to find out whether they have a policy for laterals :). OTOH, unlike a new first year, at least I've shown I can pass a bar.

My firm gave me two weeks off to study before the exam, then a week off for the exam (and to recover after haha). We were also all on the understanding that I would stop working at 5/5:30 so I could study (this was for the month before the exam). Go talk to the HR/recruiting person ASAP, and talk to the partners you work for as well. The partners I worked for basically told me to take the time off, because they had lateraled in 15 years ago and had to take the bar while working too. Hopefully they will be understanding - it's better for everyone for you to get it down this time, rather than waiting another 6 months for another exam. Not sure if this was a firm policy or anything, just what I worked out with them.

Return to “Legal Employment”