Another "depressed about 1L grades"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
star fox

Re: Another "depressed about 1L grades"

Postby star fox » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:58 pm

sayan wrote:to those who are criticizing, please realize that some people have different expectations for themselves than others. yes, he's not SOL like a T1 student with average grades, but when you've climbed the ladder all your life and become accustomed to being the best, getting average grades is devastating and the loss of options is unnerving. have some empathy and understand his/her POV before lashing out.

Everyones gotta realize they're not a special snowflake at some point in life.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:03 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:welcome to law (ie welcome to feeling depressed). you prolly shouldnt have gone to law school. have fun getting crushed in biglaw now.

This.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:39 pm

there's very little closed out to you as a median student at a top school. lots of median kids in my class their first semester wound up at V10s/20s at EIP and are competitive for some clerkships, although they had to wait for 3rd or 4th semester grades to apply.

take a breather.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:41 pm

sayan wrote:to those who are criticizing, please realize that some people have different expectations for themselves than others. yes, he's not SOL like a T1 student with average grades, but when you've climbed the ladder all your life and become accustomed to being the best, getting average grades is devastating and the loss of options is unnerving. have some empathy and understand his/her POV before lashing out.

I provided a polite response. But this is still total and utter bullshit. and it's incredibly condescending to people who don't happen to be at highly ranked law programs. how can you presume they have "different expectations"? do you realize what this sounds like?

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

Sorry for those who had to put up with these similar posts. My situation may not be super dire (2H, 3P in HLS) but I was wondering what doors I've already closed myself shut - clerkship? academia? And how often do you see dramatic improvement next term? I'm feeling especially shitty because I'm pretty sure I did the worst out of all my friends, unless some of them are lying.. (e.g. good friend got straight H/DS)

My girlfriend's dad got almost straight Cs his first semester of law school. By the end he was pulling A-s and As across the board.

First semester is going to be the hardest, grade-wise. Just go in expecting that. You aren't prepared for the tests, you may not know how to properly study, you may not have picked up the material in the right way during the semester. I know I spent the two weeks before my Contracts final completely rewriting my outlines because I hadn't properly utilized the UCC or the Restatement, or properly distinguished between them (throughout the semester, I was using them interchangeably - HUGE mistake).

It's very simple. Go to your professors and ask them what you did wrong, and how you can fix it. Really push them for answer/explanations - what points did I miss? What avenues of thought did I not take? Most importantly, from the get-go this semester, try to frame what you're learning into the bigger picture. Instead of visualizing this knowledge as a growing pile, think of it as an empty container, and so far you've filled one corner of it. Strategize now.

And if you already know all this, well, keep trying. Time will help. I have outlines for Property, Con Law, and Crim Law already started - nothing major, but I spend twenty-thirty minutes each week summarizing my notes into discreet packages (no more than one page of outline per class session). Focus on your weaknesses, rather than your strengths - this semester, for example, instead of writing everything the professor says, I'm keeping it to the most salient points and focusing more on organizing their thoughts and quips than getting every single thought down. Not everything they say is important, or even at all relevant.

Most importantly, for god's sake, you go to Harvard, dude. You have more famous and powerful alumni than any other ls in the country, as well as one of the strongest alumni networks. There's a reason you see Harvard grads literally everywhere - it's the American Powerhouse law school. I confidently say that as a CLS student. You're going to do fine, just work your fingers to the bone in what you like to do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:24 am

Which is exactly why OP shouldn't be coddled here, or anywhere. BigLaw, or law in general depending on OP's goals, isn't a group therapy session. You're expected to adapt, handle disappointment and criticism like an adult, and improve for the next time. A partner is not going to give a shit that he/she "climbed the ladder" his/her whole life -- what's the partner supposed to say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I won't call you out about the 15 things you did incorrectly in the assignment I gave you, because you're 'accustomed to being the best,' wouldn't want to shatter that illusion." What the partner WILL do (hopefully) is be willing to speak with you about how you can improve for next time, which is exactly what your mindset should be right now.

Now for something optimistic and constructive: OP, you're still going to be fine. Talk with your prior professors and figure out your weaknesses. Revise your daily/weekly study habits to improve in those areas. Also make sure you're taking care of your mind by taking care of your body -- that is, eat healthy, work out once in a while, and keep yourself in good condition to absorb the high volume of information being thrown at you in class. Don't let this one semester trip you up, you still have a full semester to go out and kill it, and you will -- just don't expect anything to be given to you, that's not how this field works.

Return to “Legal Employment”