Another "depressed about 1L grades" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Another "depressed about 1L grades"

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:57 am

Hi,

Sorry for those who had to put up with these similar posts. My situation may not be super dire (2H, 3P in HLS) but I was wondering what doors I've already closed myself shut - clerkship? academia? And how often do you see dramatic improvement next term? I'm feeling especially shitty because I'm pretty sure I did the worst out of all my friends, unless some of them are lying.. (e.g. good friend got straight H/DS)

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: Another "depressed about 1L grades"

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:59 am

I'm so sorry youre median at Harvard. Your career is likely over.

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:59 am

yeah, sorry, this thread is unacceptable

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:00 am

welcome to law (ie welcome to feeling depressed). you prolly shouldnt have gone to law school. have fun getting crushed in biglaw now.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:48 am

you can't really let your grades define your sense of self worth

everything is going to be okay

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:52 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:I'm so sorry youre median at Harvard. Your career is likely over.
:lol:

Wtf is this thread

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:56 am

to those who are criticizing, please realize that some people have different expectations for themselves than others. yes, he's not SOL like a T1 student with average grades, but when you've climbed the ladder all your life and become accustomed to being the best, getting average grades is devastating and the loss of options is unnerving. have some empathy and understand his/her POV before lashing out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:59 am

sayan wrote:to those who are criticizing, please realize that some people have different expectations for themselves than others. yes, he's not SOL like a T1 student with average grades, but when you've climbed the ladder all your life and become accustomed to being the best, getting average grades is devastating and the loss of options is unnerving. have some empathy and understand his/her POV before lashing out.
OP here. Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:01 pm

sayan wrote:to those who are criticizing, please realize that some people have different expectations for themselves than others. yes, he's not SOL like a T1 student with average grades, but when you've climbed the ladder all your life and become accustomed to being the best, getting average grades is devastating and the loss of options is unnerving. have some empathy and understand his/her POV before lashing out.
a) it shouldn't be devastating for obvious reasons

b) one of the less obvious reasons is that nothing is lost yet. Elena Kagan got a B and a B- in her first semester and things worked out just fine.
Last edited by Tiago Splitter on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:04 pm

This is absolutely the case. But it's also an opportunity for someone to gain some perspective. Everyone loses sometimes, no matter how successful they've been in the past. Being median (after only one semester) among the cream of the crop at Harvard isn't a bad position to be in.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:15 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
a) it shouldn't be devastating for obvious reasons

b) one of the less obvious reasons is that nothing is lost yet. Elena Kagan got a B and a B- in her first semester and things worked out just fine.
and bill gates dropped out of college to become the world's richest man. anecdotal evidence isn't very comforting when your friends are still at the top and you're struggling to keep up. coupled with the mystery surrounding exam grading and the difficulty of figuring out exactly how to improve, OP's position is not something to joke about.

that said, here are a few more anecdotal datapoints: my good friend at HLS earned 3Hs, 2Ps his first semester then 4Hs and a DS in the second. he works at wachtell now. i had a similar path and had my choice of firms at EIP as well.

all is not lost, but figuring out exactly what went wrong -- whether it be nerves, misunderstanding the material, being a bad test taker, personal stress etc -- is essential to mitigating those factors the second time around.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:25 pm

op, PM me

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:27 pm

God forbid they get some perspective. Lifetime overachiever is only gonna get V50! HOLY SHIT WHAT NOW

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:36 pm

What is left in life if you're not top 10% at Harvard?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:What is left in life if you're not top 10% at Harvard?
Killing yourself, imo.

TetrisBlock

Bronze

Post by TetrisBlock » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:06 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:What is left in life if you're not top 10% at Harvard?
Magna cum laude, I believe.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:18 pm

bjsesq wrote:
God forbid they get some perspective. Lifetime overachiever is only gonna get V50! HOLY SHIT WHAT NOW
LOL 2H through one semester at Harvard is not going to slip past the V25 absent strange circumstances. Worst case, he gets Kirkland during 3L OCI.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:19 pm

OP, I had those exact grades my first semester at HLS and things turned out well (ended up cum laude, got a clerkship, and ended up with a job at a firm on the west coast). You'll be fine.

ballcaps

Silver

Post by ballcaps » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:36 pm

all i need is for you to agree that personal problems may vary in significance.

if that's true - which obviously it is - then my comments, along with everyone else's, are correct and appropriate.

being only slightly above median at harvard law school is some kinda problem, sure. but it's so insignificant relative to other problems that you can't expect others to empathize.

maybe that wasn't the point of this post, but it's hard to resist responding in this way.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Yeah OP, what was your purpose in making this thread? You really ought to gain some perspective.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:05 am

Yeah, well, time to mature and gain some perspective on non-problems.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:12 am

OP, i dont think you will ever be able to president anymore, which means you wont be able to bitch that your chef overcooked your filet mignon in public speeches. sucks to suck.

kfischm1

Bronze

Post by kfischm1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:32 am

Assuming this is a serious question and you are having doubts/concerns, message me. I'm a 2L at HLS and had worse grades my 1L year.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:32 pm

*Future person who's hardship will eventually be cited in these kinds of articles.*

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

Sorry for those who had to put up with these similar posts. My situation may not be super dire (2H, 3P in HLS) but I was wondering what doors I've already closed myself shut - clerkship? academia? And how often do you see dramatic improvement next term? I'm feeling especially shitty because I'm pretty sure I did the worst out of all my friends, unless some of them are lying.. (e.g. good friend got straight H/DS)
Your friends are probably lying and even if they're not they all suck for talking about their grades. You should only be feeling devastated right now if you turned down big $$$ at a lower ranked t-14 thinking that you were going to book all your classes. Otherwise, you'll be fine- you're going to enter the legal field at a high enough level that what you do in the work world is going to matter much more than your distribution of Ps and Hs while you're at Harvard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”