Meeting w Big Law Managing Attorneys

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Meeting w Big Law Managing Attorneys

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:03 pm

Tier3 top 1%er here. 1L still. However, after telling my old college baseball coach about wanting to go biglaw initially. He set me up with a phone call with his good friend from his playing days who is a managing lit attorney at a V50 (he said he also hires the recruiters). Anyway, I (mainly for the purposes of just talking) asked his opinions on transferring/staying put and the pros/cons of each. He also asked if I'd like to come into the office and meet some people and get a feel for the environment - which Im going to do in the coming weeks.
How soon, after going in would it be appropriate to ask if he could get me a 2L SA interview? Should I wait until OCI sorta time like July/Aug (his firm doesnt come to my school), or just right after we've become a little familiar? He seems like a cool guy, dont think hell care either way but what do you all think is proper? I also have a similar meeting with a partner from a V20 who attended my school (landed that through simply emailing and seeking "advice"). Whats appropriate in that aspect?

desertlaw

Re: Meeting w Big Law Managing Attorneys

Postby desertlaw » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:47 am

Good job hustling and using your network, that is wise. Firms in that range just generally aren't prepared to do callback/interviews for 2L summer until about last week of July, early August of that 2L's fall semester (so at the end of your 1L summer). They are doing things like finishing up the current summer program and evaluations and scheduling their OCI attorneys.

So I would use this first time to get a feel for the people (just meet like 2 or 3 attorneys for coffee hopefully, don't try to meet more than that and look too gunnerish), hopefully make some connections, ask them about what they like about their work, be normal, etc. Then once early/mid July hits, tell the managing partner that you'd love to be considered for their interview season for the 2016 summer program and that you'd be in town from Y to Z. Hopefully: 1) he/they like you enough based on these spring informal chats and 2) your grades meet their cut-off.

So you need to be a normal, engaging, cool person for these informational interviews coming up. And then you need to crush your grades again in the spring. Do not overlook this part. As someone whose grades fell dramatically between 1L fall and 1L spring because thinking I had it figured out, you do not want to be in position of looking bad and being denied chances because of grade drop.

As far as the transfer is concerned, I would put out applications during the summer and see what you get in return. Doesn't hurt to look and if you get in places, use as leverage for scholarship money at current school (they should give you a full ride based on anecdotes). If you think you have a real decent shot at this firm (if you meet their initial grade cut and are a socially-aware person, then you'll be able to tell if they like you), transferring (and incurring a bunch of debt in the process) would probably be bad idea. Obviously a T14 OCI is going to open a lot more doors for you, though. But all you need is 1 offer, so I'd keep hustling and mass-mailing this summer.

EDIT: How these "informational" 1L interviews go is that after you meet with the attorney(s) for coffee or a chat, they'll likely fill a short review about you, basically a thumbs up or down on whether to keep considering you. If you get a thumbs up, then when your official app comes into the office in July/August, you'd likely skip the "screening interview" stage (because you've already do it basically since screening is just about grades + personality) and be directly invited for a callback to be evaluated by a handful of attorneys during the day + lunch/dinner. Also, in terms of how to present yourself or your goals during these informal conversations, definitely say that you'd love to work in a firm like theirs, that their work sounds interesting and you think you'd like it because XYZ. But don't come off as begging for a job or looking like a desperate T3 student that will do anything for a job.

Anonymous User

Re: Meeting w Big Law Managing Attorneys

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:50 pm

desertlaw wrote:EDIT: How these "informational" 1L interviews go is that after you meet with the attorney(s) for coffee or a chat, they'll likely fill a short review about you, basically a thumbs up or down on whether to keep considering you. If you get a thumbs up, then when your official app comes into the office in July/August, you'd likely skip the "screening interview" stage (because you've already do it basically since screening is just about grades + personality) and be directly invited for a callback to be evaluated by a handful of attorneys during the day + lunch/dinner. Also, in terms of how to present yourself or your goals during these informal conversations, definitely say that you'd love to work in a firm like theirs, that their work sounds interesting and you think you'd like it because XYZ. But don't come off as begging for a job or looking like a desperate T3 student that will do anything for a job.

Thanks for the well thought out post... This last part quoted above I didn't have much of an idea about- but this is good to hear. I am ready to make a good impression. Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”