Former boss won't pay me or return calls/emails. Now what?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seespotrun

Re: Former boss won't pay me or return calls/emails. Now what?

Postby seespotrun » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:43 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:regarding c&f and how this applies - if this individual has enough disrespect for you to not only not pay you but to also ignore your calls asking to get paid, what do you suppose the likelihood is that s/he (1) returns the bar's calls and (2) says you're a great lawyer?

i would never not pay an employee even if it meant i had to go for pb&j for the foreseeable future, but if i was going to break the law to fuck someone, there is no way i would ever create evidence stating that the person did a good job. not only would this be used against me in a civil proceeding, it'd also be used against me in a disciplinary one.

This is dumb

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:49 pm

seespotrun wrote:
AReasonableMan wrote:regarding c&f and how this applies - if this individual has enough disrespect for you to not only not pay you but to also ignore your calls asking to get paid, what do you suppose the likelihood is that s/he (1) returns the bar's calls and (2) says you're a great lawyer?

i would never not pay an employee even if it meant i had to go for pb&j for the foreseeable future, but if i was going to break the law to fuck someone, there is no way i would ever create evidence stating that the person did a good job. not only would this be used against me in a civil proceeding, it'd also be used against me in a disciplinary one.

This is dumb

you have to adopt the perspective of someone who's a big enough POS to rip off a student living off of ramen noodles of $400. i bet most homeless people would have the decency to either pay up or at least tell OP, "I'd pay you but I don't have the money."
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:59 pm

Tell us more about solos

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:01 pm

seespotrun wrote:Tell us more about solos

apparently another one of them didn't pay OP their $400. it sounds like he really had a # in mind for the project, which was $400 and he decided to fire you before the project was done so wants to pay you $0.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:44 pm

The bar really really really really doesn't care. Job stuff turns out badly all the time. It's not an ethical issue.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The bar really really really really doesn't care. Job stuff turns out badly all the time. It's not an ethical issue.

You're not getting the problem. The problem is if his boss takes this personally and dicks over OP when asked if OP is ethical by C&F. A friend had something like this happen and it took 3 years to clear himself before he could practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:12 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The bar really really really really doesn't care. Job stuff turns out badly all the time. It's not an ethical issue.

You need an affidavit from all former legal employers, at least in New York and probably in many other states. He could refuse to provide one at all or drag his feet forever. I've definitely heard of people getting held up in C&F hell for months or even years by someone with an (unjustified) axe to grind whose affidavit is required. The bar doesn't care about you enough to look into why you're unable to obtain an affidavit. They just see that you didn't get an affidavit from a former law-related employer, and that's your problem, not theirs.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:16 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
seespotrun wrote:Tell us more about solos

apparently another one of them didn't pay OP their $400. it sounds like he really had a # in mind for the project, which was $400 and he decided to fire you before the project was done so wants to pay you $0.

Did you miss the part where he said it was a mid sized firm?

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:31 pm

I'm not sure why people are even making this a C&F issue. First, the bar wouldn't even know that you worked there if you don't put it on your bar application or resume. Second, if you only worked for 60 hours then you might not even have to list the position depending on your state.

Also, if you have other employers, one person isn't going to bring you down. Additionally, if it is a mid size firm, have the C&F delivered to the HR contact.

If this bitch owes you money, then I would get your money...Failure to pay is a serious offense in some states.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You need an affidavit from all former legal employers, at least in New York and probably in many other states. He could refuse to provide one at all or drag his feet forever. I've definitely heard of people getting held up in C&F hell for months or even years by someone with an (unjustified) axe to grind whose affidavit is required. The bar doesn't care about you enough to look into why you're unable to obtain an affidavit. They just see that you didn't get an affidavit from a former law-related employer, and that's your problem, not theirs.

See, my state could give a shit. I just had to list them. I'm pretty sure none of them were even contacted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:01 pm

in a similar situation with a small firm, i worked there about 12 hours but New York says I have to list it. I tried to quit amicably, but I hope they don't screw me on the bar affidavit. I said that I just couldn't handle working there with school, so sorry.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:38 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

See, my state could give a shit. I just had to list them. I'm pretty sure none of them were even contacted.

it sounds like law students have to start assessing the possibility of vindictiveness in the risk-reward analysis, and that cso offices should be partly liable for people getting f'd by unethical employees they let post.

Return to “Legal Employment”