Did I get a job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Did I get a job?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:42 am

A week or two ago I had an interview for a summer fellowship at a PD's office. The interview went really well, but unfortunately I ended up not receiving the fellowship. However, after informing me that I did not receive the fellowship, they told me that although I didn't receive the fellowship, "they'd love to have me come on as a regular intern for the summer, If I'd be interested." I said I would, we discussed a start date, etc.

At the end of the phone call, the attorney told me that she didn't have the authority to give out official offers, and that I'd need to meet with the Chief Defender in order to begin my internship. I was told to call the office after my exams to schedule the meeting. I contacted the office the other day to tell them that I'd be available to come in before then (because I wanted to get this over with), and they responded that my "interview" with the Chief would be in a couple weeks.

Do you think I got the job and I'm just over-thinking it? Or should I continue to apply to other positions? I want to work at this office, but I don't want to put off other job interviews and end up getting screwed.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Re: Did I get a job?

Post by UnicornHunter » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:A week or two ago I had an interview for a summer fellowship at a PD's office. The interview went really well, but unfortunately I ended up not receiving the fellowship. However, after informing me that I did not receive the fellowship, they told me that although I didn't receive the fellowship, "they'd love to have me come on as a regular intern for the summer, If I'd be interested." I said I would, we discussed a start date, etc.

At the end of the phone call, the attorney told me that she didn't have the authority to give out official offers, and that I'd need to meet with the Chief Defender in order to begin my internship. I was told to call the office after my exams to schedule the meeting. I contacted the office the other day to tell them that I'd be available to come in before then (because I wanted to get this over with), and they responded that my "interview" with the Chief would be in a couple weeks.

Do you think I got the job and I'm just over-thinking it? Or should I continue to apply to other positions? I want to work at this office, but I don't want to put off other job interviews and end up getting screwed.
I would continue interviewing.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:49 am

TheUnicornHunter wrote: I would continue interviewing.
It may or may not materialize into a summer internship, but the point is, they haven't given you a definite answer yet. Until they do, it's in your best interests to keep looking.
Last edited by encore1101 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:07 am

encore1101 wrote:
OP here: Damn, okay thanks. Is it likely that I didn't actually get an offer yet?

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
OP here: Damn, okay thanks. Is it likely that I didn't actually get an offer yet?
you dont have an offer, the person told you they dont have the authority to give you one. now obviously that she wanted to is a good sign and maybe your meeting with the head person is just a formality. But I really wouldnt treat it any differently than any other interview, personally.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:30 am

This is not an offer. They are leading you on (and acting kind of shady, if I say so myself.)

If this chief meeting eventually materializes, maybe you'll end up with an offer down the road, but in the meantime, keep applying and interviewing full gusto. If you get an offer from someone else, see if you can get your chief meeting bumped up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:20 pm

Until you have something in writing saying that you have an offer, you don't have an offer. However, I would be surprised if this didn't materialize into an offer eventually.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”