Small firm, 1.8k billable req. What's life going to be like?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Small firm, 1.8k billable req. What's life going to be like?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:40 pm

fats provolone wrote:he just explained how you are valuable though. using numbers. and units of value

That's very true. But all of the firm's recent hires have been people with 2-5 years of experience. I'd like to think I'm a special snowflake, but in reality I'm not as valuable as someone who knows what the hell is going on.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:2500 dollars in printing costs!??!

I also rounded down $8000 at the end. Not sure if I'm high or way too low.
Edit. not sure what I was thinking. Avg probably 100 pages/day * 250 * .04c page all in = 1000

Ok, fuck the rounding down now. Partners make $260k on you.

smallfirmassociate

Postby smallfirmassociate » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:32 pm

Printing costs are actually high. Printer rental can be several hundred per month per unit.

smallfirmassociate

Postby smallfirmassociate » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:51 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:
smallfirmassociate wrote:
One concern is the 1800 hour requirement. That's probably more than you think in a small firm (it's not that much in a big firm), but that depends on the nature of the litigation that you do. If you can work on one case for a whole day, multiple days, whatever, then you can really pile up some billables. If you're jumping around between files, going on the road to do depos, filing a one-off motion here or there, fielding phone calls from several clients every day, then 1800 hours can be a lot. A lot. I managed about 1200 my first year out of law school, 1600 my second, and that's roughly the pace I've kept since. Keep in mind this is BILLED hours, not billable. My hours actually go to the client, period. 1800 BILLED hours is more than 1800 billable hours. But between raising my rate to about double what it was then and developing a certain niche type practice where I'm a go-to guy (in our firm, area, region, state) in a few areas, I managed to pick up partner. I should bring in about $210k my first year as partner, which COL-adjusted translates to maybe $550k in NYC. I rarely work weekends, have minimal travel. So the money and lifestyle are there.

Just curious why you think it's different between small firm/big firm re: billable (as opposed to billed).

In a typical day, I might deal with 4 - 12 different client files, sometimes as many as 16 or so. I have multiple instances of billing .1 - .3 hours for a task. I write a number of smaller motions and attend and argue hearings in state court that sometimes take just a half hour or so. When you have such a staccato nature to a practice, it is less efficient.

Also, I travel on at least a weekly basis (although I'm home for dinner). As a partner in a small firm in a small town, I also deal with a lot more non-billable work. I sit on several boards, am involved in various professional organizations, and have certain firm management duties that are just the nature of the beast here. I also have some clients who don't pay their bills, and that comes off my revenue. (I suppose I should have said earlier that I need paid hours instead of just billed hours.) I do some pro bono work, especially for the boards I sit on, local nonprofits, etc., or for clients whom I like or for indigent clients, just because it's the right thing to do. I am called upon to be the guest speaker and to attend various community functions at all hours of all days. Add it all up and 1800 billed (paid) hours is quite a damn lot.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:03 pm

Cop dat .25 hour billing bros.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:03 am

Return to “Legal Employment”