JD->MBB Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

JD->MBB Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:44 pm

There is some really helpful stuff on here about going JD->consulting if you are competitive for MBB, etc. Some questions that I haven't been able to find answers to:

Can someone give me a definitive timeline of their hiring cycles? Assume for a 3L for permanent employment and not for a 2L for summer employment. I'm worried that if I go for consulting and miss there will literally be nothing left (clerkships, government, prosecutors, my firm offer having expired).

For a 3L, if they come to OCI at your school do you have to interview that way or can you just apply and interview through the website? Getting to OCI would be logistically a challenge based off were I will be this summer.

Does anyone know if MBB, etc. would consider people out of clerkships? I know it's not common and that they wouldn't really see a clerkship as a benefit, but would it exclude me?

How do you pick/get assigned to an office? Do you apply to the firm or to a particular office? Does office preference weigh in on hiring?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: JD->MBB Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is some really helpful stuff on here about going JD->consulting if you are competitive for MBB, etc. Some questions that I haven't been able to find answers to:

Can someone give me a definitive timeline of their hiring cycles? Assume for a 3L for permanent employment and not for a 2L for summer employment. I'm worried that if I go for consulting and miss there will literally be nothing left (clerkships, government, prosecutors, my firm offer having expired).

For a 3L, if they come to OCI at your school do you have to interview that way or can you just apply and interview through the website? Getting to OCI would be logistically a challenge based off were I will be this summer.

Does anyone know if MBB, etc. would consider people out of clerkships? I know it's not common and that they wouldn't really see a clerkship as a benefit, but would it exclude me?

How do you pick/get assigned to an office? Do you apply to the firm or to a particular office? Does office preference weigh in on hiring?

Thanks.

Interviewed at MBB as a 2L, but also did research on this for 3L hiring. Some of this might not be accurate but oh well.

Depends on your school but at my school, one of the MBBs came to OCI for both 2l/3l hiring, and offers came around the time firms gave offers. Full time hiring happens around August I believe(?).

You apply through the website. Again, this depends on your school but when I say MBB "came to our OCI", what I mean is there was a recruiter who took in resumes and acted as a contact. MBB hiring is much different than law firm hiring, and you need a networking contact to get you in the door. Basically, if your school has a recruiter (meaning you're at a target school) and they like your resume, they'll give you a first round interview. Networking helps a lot so don't forget to do that.

At least at the MBB I interviewed at, you get 3 office preferences. They try their best to place you in your first one. That being said, I don't think it weighs on your offer chances (I'm not 100% sure). I do know that the MBB I interviewed at didn't have a "class size". They'll give offers to however many people qualify. Based on that information, I'd say it's highly unlikely office preference has any weight on offers (esp. if you're on client site most days of week)
As for clerkships, it doesn't matter. It won't hurt but it may not help. They're looking for examples of leadership, teamwork, value addition, etc. (especially McKinsey's PEI).

Anonymous User

Re: JD->MBB Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is some really helpful stuff on here about going JD->consulting if you are competitive for MBB, etc. Some questions that I haven't been able to find answers to:

Thanks.

They hire for summer after 2L. Some JD's get hired the summer after 1L. They hire for FT during 3L fall.

They usually don't even look at the resumes collected from their website. If they don't come to your school, you should network and try to have someone working at MBB push your resume to recruiting.

Of course not. No reason for them to, and you will be way behind to be able to thrive there. Even BigLaw doesn't encourage clerkship outside of feeder, especially corporate.

You apply to particular office. Different offices have different levels of selectivity.

Good luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”