PD vs. Mid (small?) Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

PD vs. Mid (small?) Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:29 pm

2L here at a T30 school top 20% - I have two options for this summer, local public defender or local firm w/ about 20-30 attorneys. If I want to try 3L OCI for big law or a bigger firm, which would be the better option for this summer.

(1) PD - get in the courtroom and handle clients
or
(2) Firm - do mainly research for transactional work

transferror

Re: PD vs. Mid (small?) Law

Postby transferror » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:47 pm

This shouldn't be the determining factor in your choice since the odds of landing biglaw through 3L OCI are so slim. PD is better if you want to go criminal and the courtroom experience will help if you apply to small firms where you would be in court early and often, e.g. small PI shop. Otherwise, take the firm job if you want to go civil, and especially if there's potential for full-time employment after graduation.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Unless you want to do crim law I would go with the firm.

Honestly you have a better chance of going small firm to biglaw than you do getting a biglaw job out of 3L OCI.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:48 pm

The small law firm is the better choice if you want to pursue a career in civil law--especially if targeting large law firms. PD work will impress some prosecutors as well as show demonstrated interest for future PD work.

How certain are you about your career goals ? I ask because most PD offices make summer offers based on demonstrated interest. If you are still considering a career as a PD or private criminal defense work, then stay with the PD office throughout law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here at a T30 school top 20% - I have two options for this summer, local public defender or local firm w/ about 20-30 attorneys. If I want to try 3L OCI for big law or a bigger firm, which would be the better option for this summer.

(1) PD - get in the courtroom and handle clients
or
(2) Firm - do mainly research for transactional work

Why in the world would you think that the PD's office would lead to BIGLAW?????

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:57 pm

The firm is a much better option for later firm work.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:The firm is a much better option for later firm work.

This

Decide whether u want to to civil side /work for a firm or whatever it if you want to do crim law and choose accordingly

Return to “Legal Employment”