Billing, Billing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
monsterman

Billing, Billing

Postby monsterman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:42 pm

Could any practicing attorneys or former summer associates speak a bit about how exactly billables work? I don't mean the concept of them, but how you deal with the tedious nature of billing. For example, how do you time yourself when you are billing? When someone walks into your office when you are billing and you are interrupted, how does that work? When you are sucking the partner's dick and you come up for air, do you bill for that?

Basically I'm wondering how attorneys adapt to an environment where things like reading the news is just a waste of time since it's not billable.

And I know it's against ethical rules or something, but does anyone know of times when people were blatantly billing for things that were in no way billable?

911 crisis actor

Re: Billing, Billing

Postby 911 crisis actor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Billing's easy, start the timer when you wake up and don't stop until you go to bed

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:36 am

Any minute you spend thinking about a case is a billable minute!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:12 am

I keep an excel spreadsheet open. It calculates my hours as I go. I enter the time I start and the time I stop. Real easy.

The only issue is when you have a lot of things going at once. An email comes in while you're working on a brief and you respond for three minutes, then someone pops in to talk about a case for ten minutes, then you work on the brief some more and get a phone call from another client, and so forth. There's a bit of guesswork in these types of situations. There are some days I work (even if only a .1) on nine or ten matters, which in my experience tends to happen to litigators more than corporate folks.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:08 am

Our billing software has a little timer app that stores everything you're working on during the day. Press play when you work on it, press pause when you stop. Sync at the end of the day. Helps when you have 20-30 billing entries each day.

Return to “Legal Employment”