Real Life Prosecutor - Taking Q's

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MarkinKansasCity

Re: Real Life Prosecutor - Taking Q's

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:03 pm

Kivan wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:Do you ever feel bad prosecuting non-violent drug offenders? I don't think I could handle putting a stoner in jail for being a stoner.

Hell no! I'll tell you why.

#1. Stoners don't go to jail. Despite what you read on the Huffington Post, nobody is sitting in PRISON for simple possession. If you are in prison for weed, then you are a SERIOUS DEALER or you have a HORRIBLE record that has earned you a bed in the DOC.

#2. "Non-violent" is a catch-word that people don't understand. Burglary and Arson are "non-violent" crimes. If you have a criminal history, I really don't care what your motivation/addiction was, you are going to prison for breaking into someone's house.

Dude, I've known quite a few non-violent drug offenders. Weed dealers, stoners, etc. When they get caught, it can make their life hell and cost them tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and probation shit. Not to mention that having to leave work to go see your PO for a random drug test is not the kind of reliable attendance most employers are looking for.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:13 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Dude, I've known quite a few non-violent drug offenders. Weed dealers, stoners, etc. When they get caught, it can make their life hell and cost them tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and probation shit. Not to mention that having to leave work to go see your PO for a random drug test is not the kind of reliable attendance most employers are looking for.

Boo-Hoo, little Johnny has to go report to his probation officer and pay probation fines.

Here's an idea, STOP CONSUMING ILLEGAL PRODUCTS THAT YOU KNOW ARE ILLEGAL.

"But--But---it's legal in Oregon and Colorado!"

Then move there and smoke until your heart is content.

You might save yourself the hassle and inconvenience of having to come to court.

kingofspain

Postby kingofspain » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:15 pm

do you ever feel awkward condemning people as monsters at sentencing when you've never so much as had a conversation with them?

do you ever worry that prison just makes things worse for defendants, and the rest of society when they get out?

do you believe that your work as a prosecutor has a positive effect in terms of rehabilitation or deterrence?

how do you reconcile your support for a system built on retribution/vengeance with 1) the criminogenic effects of poverty, deprivation, mental illness, etc., and 2) disparate enforcement against poor people and people of color?

shouldn't we just legalize all drugs and save everyone the hassle?

kingofspain

Postby kingofspain » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Kivan wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:Dude, I've known quite a few non-violent drug offenders. Weed dealers, stoners, etc. When they get caught, it can make their life hell and cost them tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and probation shit. Not to mention that having to leave work to go see your PO for a random drug test is not the kind of reliable attendance most employers are looking for.

Boo-Hoo, little Johnny has to go report to his probation officer and pay probation fines.

You might save yourself the hassle and inconvenience of having to come to court.

"here's an idea, stop being an addict!!" --- someone who has no idea what addiction is like

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 pm

Kivan wrote:

Good to know you fit my image of prosecutors as people who have no problem fucking a guy's life up who hasn't hurt anyone in any way.

ETA: And for the record, illegal drugs have never appealed to me. But drawing a moral line in the sand between alcohol and marijuana is fucking stupid.

mmelittlechicken

Postby mmelittlechicken » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:18 pm

I'm guessing this is a wolkpack having a manic episode alt.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:30 pm

It sounds like your job is cool for a few years but after that it sucks like most other jobs. Do you know any AUSAs who like their job more than you like yours?

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:32 pm

kingofspain wrote:do you ever feel awkward condemning people as monsters at sentencing when you've never so much as had a conversation with them?

do you ever worry that prison just makes things worse for defendants, and the rest of society when they get out?

do you believe that your work as a prosecutor has a positive effect in terms of rehabilitation or deterrence?

how do you reconcile your support for a system built on retribution/vengeance with 1) the criminogenic effects of poverty, deprivation, mental illness, etc., and 2) disparate enforcement against poor people and people of color?

shouldn't we just legalize all drugs and save everyone the hassle?

"Condemning people as monsters" - First, you need to step out of your fantasy world where people actually use the word "monsters" to describe people. I deal in a world where when you commit a crime you are held responsible for it. You might get probation, you might get prison. But nobody goes around saying, "THIS DEFENDANT IS A MONSTER! WE MUST PROTECT SOCIETY!"

"Prison makes things worse" - Of course i makes Defendant's life worse. That's why NOBODY wants to go to prison. If you got BETTER, then it would be desirable.

"The system is evil" - It'd be great if we lived in a fantasy world where all people needed was Probation and a hug and they'd never commit a crime ever again. Or a world where all you gotta do is give a Defendant drug court and they'll be completely cured of their addiction.

That's not reality. In reality, a Defendant won't successfully complete drug court or probation until THEY DECIDE to do what they are supposed to do. My job is not to help people seek redemption for whatever demons plague them. My job is to hold people accountable for 1) What they did & 2) What the State can prove.

"Drug legalization" - Yes, let's legalize Meth and Crack. Because they have the same affect on people as Weed.

"But it will end violence caused by the black market"

Except it won't. Unless Wal-Mart starts selling and distributing Meth/Crack/Heroin. Then people will continue to go to their street dealer. If 2 street dealers are competing for customers, then you can imagine that they won't settle their differences with a simple handshake.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:35 pm

So would it be super hypocritical for a prosecutor to get blazed on the weekend or do you imagine that it is pretty common hypocrisy? I assume no one really talks about it at the office.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:37 pm

arklaw13 wrote:It sounds like your job is cool for a few years but after that it sucks like most other jobs. Do you know any AUSAs who like their job more than you like yours?

You just described most Prosecutors AND Public Defenders.

AUSA's have a few advantages:

1 - They cherry-pick the cases they choose to indict. If a case sucks, then they'll leave it for the local Prosecutors to deal with. State Prosecutors don't have that luxury. We have to handle all the murders and child molestation cases that come thru the door.

2 - They are involved in the investigation of their cases BEFORE they're indicted. So if the Agent didn't gather enough evidence, then they can direct them on what to get and who to talk to.

3 - As a result of 1 & 2, they have a RIDICULOUSLY low case count per prosecutor.

* - None of this applies to parts of Texas and California where they prosecute just as much as your typical State Prosecutors.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So would it be super hypocritical for a prosecutor to get blazed on the weekend or do you imagine that it is pretty common hypocrisy? I assume no one really talks about it at the office.

lol

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So would it be super hypocritical for a prosecutor to get blazed on the weekend or do you imagine that it is pretty common hypocrisy? I assume no one really talks about it at the office.

Do what you want on your own time.

HOWEVER,

when you piss Hot or get arrested, then you have nobody to blame but yourself when you are fired and end up on the FRONT PAGE of your local newspaper.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:42 pm

Kivan wrote:

Do what you want on your own time.

HOWEVER,

when you piss Hot or get arrested, then you have nobody to blame but yourself when you are fired and end up on the FRONT PAGE of your local newspaper.

So in you jurisdiction they do drug tests? I guess maybe I should into the PD even though I'm not a true believer.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
So in you jurisdiction they do drug tests? I guess maybe I should into the PD even though I'm not a true believer.

Very few PD's are true believers, at least not long term.

Eventually, you'll get tired of your clients shitting on you and just see the gig as "a job with good benefits". The more REASONABLE PD's are the ones who are:

- Good lawyers

&

- Low tolerance for bullshit from their clients

In regards to drug tests, my Elected Official has the power to make me piss into a cup or blow into a breathalyzer at any point in time.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:49 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Can we just agree that prosecutors are evil people who live to put poor people in jail, defense attorneys are evil people who live to set rapists and murderers free among law-abiding citizens, and while we're at it, corporate attorneys are evil people who just help the rich get richer and add nothing to society, and move on from that part of the conversation?

I started with the assumption that he was a decent human being, and then he corrected me.

Hey man, you ever feel bad fucking people's lives up when they didn't hurt anybody?

Nahh, fuck those people if they don't follow the arbitrary rules in place.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:51 pm

how do you feel about DUI lawyers shareholders

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:52 pm

Kivan wrote:until your heart is content.

Damn, I always thought that apostrophe was possessive, but it makes way more sense that way.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kivan wrote:until your heart is content.

Damn, I always thought that apostrophe was possessive, but it makes way more sense that way.

Sorry didn't mean to be anon.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:55 pm

fats provolone wrote:how do you feel about DUI lawyers shareholders

It's not an easy practice to jump into.

A) DUI's are complicated and the case law is always changing.

B) You need to have a GREAT marketing machine in place to generate business.

C) It's all a game at the end of the day.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:18 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:18 pm

Last edited by sublime on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:50 pm

any interview tips for DA positions? I do not know where you are but it seems like dedication is a huge thing in hiring. Over here, seems like every other person has done one or more internships with a da office. I've done two years worth of da internships and argued a lot in court and I'm barely getting qualifying scores based on my resume.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:57 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
I started with the assumption that he was a decent human being, and then he corrected me.

Hey man, you ever feel bad fucking people's lives up when they didn't hurt anybody?

I mean, it wouldn't be much of a system if we didn't at least kind of follow its rules. Seems odd to drop the blame at the prosecutor's doorstep for doing a small part of their job when they're just enforcing the will of the elected officials.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:05 pm

TheUnicornHunter wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:

I mean, it wouldn't be much of a system if we didn't at least kind of follow its rules. Seems odd to drop the blame at the prosecutor's doorstep for doing a small part of their job when they're just enforcing the will of the elected officials.

Also, they're just enforcing the law. If you want to change marijuana laws, do something about it on the legislative level. Then maybe the prosecutors won't be able to prosecute those crimes. Just take a look at Prop 47 in California, something can be done. Apparently, not enough people in Mark's state share his views and so nothing is being done.
Last edited by adonai on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Can we just agree that prosecutors are evil people who live to put poor people in jail, defense attorneys are evil people who live to set rapists and murderers free among law-abiding citizens, and while we're at it, corporate attorneys are evil people who just help the rich get richer and add nothing to society, and move on from that part of the conversation?

And racists. Don't forget that prosecutors are also racists.

Return to “Legal Employment”