Real Life Prosecutor - Taking Q's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kivan

New

Re: Real Life Prosecutor - Taking Q's

Post by Kivan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kivan wrote:Been doing it for about 5 yrs now.

You name it, I've prosecuted it: DUI's, Arson, White Collar, Unemployment Fraud, Murder.

Ask away!
How tough would it be for a recently licensed attorney, who has been practicing for under a year in real estate or a separate field to get into the DA's office? Passion is there along with past DA internship.

Your previous internship will give you a BOOST. A lot of DA Offices really look with skepticism anybody who tries to JUMP from any non-Prosecutor field into being a Prosecutor. The fact that you interned in a DA's office will show that you aren't just looking for "any job", but that you truly want to be in Prosecution.

The best thing for you to do is to reach out to classmates or friends you know who are in Prosecution offices now. They can let you know when openings will be available and they can put in a good word for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:06 pm

What advice do you have for doing well on the second interview?

Kivan

New

Post by Kivan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What advice do you have for doing well on the second interview?
Be likable

DON'T be creepy

and don't drink the Kool-Aid either. Don't be the guy who says, "I want to be Prosecutor because I believe in LAW & ORDER!"

Be pragmatic and recognize that the job of a Prosecutor is to protect the public and to seek Justice. Even if that means reducing or even dismissing a charge.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Kivan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You name it, I've prosecuted it: DUI's, Arson, White Collar, Unemployment Fraud, Murder.

Ask away!
How tough would it be for a recently licensed attorney, who has been practicing for under a year in real estate or a separate field to get into the DA's office? Passion is there along with past DA internship.

Your previous internship will give you a BOOST. A lot of DA Offices really look with skepticism anybody who tries to JUMP from any non-Prosecutor field into being a Prosecutor. The fact that you interned in a DA's office will show that you aren't just looking for "any job", but that you truly want to be in Prosecution.

The best thing for you to do is to reach out to classmates or friends you know who are in Prosecution offices now. They can let you know when openings will be available and they can put in a good word for you.
Not at all consistent with my experience in 2 DAs offices. When your applicants are unlicensed law students or folks without bar passage for some reason and someone who can start taking cases immediately, that bar card looks awfully good. I've been present for multiple hiring decisions to bring on people without a minute of criminal experience. You'll start in mag court doing misdemeanors, but it's still a good job.

Kivan

New

Post by Kivan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:21 pm

andythefir wrote:
Not at all consistent with my experience in 2 DAs offices. When your applicants are unlicensed law students or folks without bar passage for some reason and someone who can start taking cases immediately, that bar card looks awfully good. I've been present for multiple hiring decisions to bring on people without a minute of criminal experience. You'll start in mag court doing misdemeanors, but it's still a good job.
Well thank you Captain Argumentative.

I'll be sure to correct all my prior posts now that you've informed me that my experience is "NOT AT ALL CONSISTENT" with yours.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:31 pm

Kivan wrote:
andythefir wrote:
Well thank you Captain Argumentative.

I'll be sure to correct all my prior posts now that you've informed me that my experience is "NOT AT ALL CONSISTENT" with yours.
I just mean to say that DAs offices vary wildly across the country, so advice about how to catch on with one should at least try to account for that diversity. If you're flexible re region, you can catch on somewhere as a DA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:55 pm

Kivan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ask away!

Thank you very much for the advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:57 pm

andythefir wrote:
Kivan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ask away!

Interesting distinction. Were any of those applicants who were hired without any criminal experience licensed attorneys that had been practicing in a different field?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Interesting distinction. Were any of those applicants who were hired without any criminal experience licensed attorneys that had been practicing in a different field?
Yes, to answer your question directly. I've participated in hiring decisions that brought on people who had been doing doc review, housing law, bankruptcy law, water law, you name it. Some DAs offices are better than others when it comes to developing attorneys, but most are awful institutionally, leading to a catch-as-catch-can learning environment. Almost anything you do in the law will make you more functional than someone right out of law school, who takes 6-12 months to be useful at anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”