Real Life Prosecutor - Taking Q's

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kivan

Real Life Prosecutor - Taking Q's

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Been doing it for about 5 yrs now.

You name it, I've prosecuted it: DUI's, Arson, White Collar, Unemployment Fraud, Murder.

Ask away!

JohannDeMann

Re: Real Life Prosecutor - Taking Q's

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:33 pm

Do you like your job?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:33 pm

you hiring?

nachosrgood

Postby nachosrgood » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:35 pm

How have you been able to sample so many areas in such a short time? What have you liked and disliked about the different areas?

mickey0004

Postby mickey0004 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:36 pm

what's the pay like? and salary increases from year to year?

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:44 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:Do you like your job?

I enjoy being in court and trial an ass-load of cases.

Plus, I don't have to worry about billable hours.

However, there are other aspects of my job that I'm liking less and less.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:45 pm

fats provolone wrote:you hiring?

Yes; however, I can't reveal what jurisdiction tho.

We've had a significant turnover this year.

In fact, one of our "Senior" people just announced yesterday that they were leaving.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:48 pm

mickey0004 wrote:what's the pay like? and salary increases from year to year?

Pay sucks.

"Old timers" talk about the glorious days of yore when everyone received raises twice a year.

That shit stopped when the Great Recession hit.

They've started to slowly give meager increases, but no COL increases, nor anything significant.

Our road patrol officers make more money than us because they can do "Specials"

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:49 pm

What does your office look for in a new hire? What's your hiring process like? What roles do the candidate's school, grades, etc. play?

swampman

Postby swampman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Kivan wrote:However, there are other aspects of my job that I'm liking less and less.

What aspects are those?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm currently doing a state supreme court clerkship and after working with all the criminal cases I think I'd like being a prosecutor. I'm doing a fed clerkship clear across the country next year. Do you think I need to do more than rub some elbows to show I'm actually interested in the work?

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:03 pm

nachosrgood wrote:How have you been able to sample so many areas in such a short time? What have you liked and disliked about the different areas?

My office is medium-sized in a secondary city. We've got a lot of cases, a lot of judges, but only 2-3 people per "Judge Team"

So we don't have "divisions" or anything, case gets indicted, assigned to a Judge Team, Team Leader assigns it, and BOOM! You've got a Child Molestation or Armed Robbery to handle.

I HAAAAATTTTTEEE Child Molestation cases. They are never like what you see on Law & Order:SVU. Most times the ONLY evidence you'll have is the word of the victim.

Juries HAAAAAAAAATTTTTEEEEE when that's the only evidence you have. They don't want to be put in the position of sending a person to prison just on the word of a child.

Murders are easy b/c your victim isn't around to F-Up your case.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Kivan wrote:
mickey0004 wrote:what's the pay like? and salary increases from year to year?

Pay sucks.

"Old timers" talk about the glorious days of yore when everyone received raises twice a year.

That shit stopped when the Great Recession hit.

They've started to slowly give meager increases, but no COL increases, nor anything significant.

Our road patrol officers make more money than us because they can do "Specials"

Police officers make money than almost all local government lawyers because lawyers can't do overtime.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:06 pm

Ron Don Volante wrote:What does your office look for in a new hire? What's your hiring process like? What roles do the candidate's school, grades, etc. play?

"Look for" - Someone with Mock trial experience is nice. It's EVEN BETTER if you've interned at a Prosecution office in the past. I came from the city's misdemeanor office and I did Moot/Mock in law school. My Elected Official also likes people who have Clerkship experience.

"School, grades, etc"

Boss: I hired several new lawyers.

Me: Oh, is our team getting one.

Boss: Yup.

Me: What school did he graduate from?

Boss: I dunno, I just consider them "Lawyer 1, 2, and 3".

My boss is more concerned with how well you'll fit in our office and how long you'll stay.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently doing a state supreme court clerkship and after working with all the criminal cases I think I'd like being a prosecutor. I'm doing a fed clerkship clear across the country next year. Do you think I need to do more than rub some elbows to show I'm actually interested in the work?

You need to get your Judge to make some phone calls if you are trying to get into a Prosecution office.

If you are trying to jump from clerkship directly into Prosecution (State or AUSA), then your Judge needs to call on your behalf to get your resume on the Decider's desk.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:11 pm

swampman wrote:
Kivan wrote:However, there are other aspects of my job that I'm liking less and less.

What aspects are those?

Last year I tried more jury trials than anybody else in my office, (hell in the entire local bar to be specific), I submitted at least 20 appellate briefs, and I argued (successfully) before our Appellate Court.

However, I don't see the point of busting my ass the way I did since my pay doesn't increase, my cases don't get any more interesting, and I've lost the "thrill" of going to trial.

I can try a multi-defendant armed robbery case with my eyes closed. My heart just isn't in it anymore.

A friend of mine (who has prosecuted a lot longer than me) told me, "Being a Prosecutor is a lot like shoveling smoke: No matter how much you do, there is always more."

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:16 pm

you get any biglaw refugees?

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:21 pm

When it comes to hiring, does your office look askance at someone with PD/Innocence Project type experience on their resume?

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:24 pm

BlueLotus wrote:When it comes to hiring, does your office look askance at someone with PD/Innocence Project type experience on their resume?

It depends on certain intangibles.

My boss hired a classmate of mine who previously worked as a Criminal Defense atty for several years.

Elected Head Honcho also hired a guy who as the court-appointed Juvenile PD to work as the Juvenile Prosecutor for us.

You probably need someone who can vouch for you that you are not fatally idealistic, but actually someone who will fight hard for victims and do right by the Defendant.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:26 pm

fats provolone wrote:you get any biglaw refugees?

My city doesn't have too many BIGLAW firms, so no.

HOwever, in the BIG CITY of my jurisdiction there are a few classmates who left firms to go prosecute.

The BIG QUESTIONS that will be asked is:

- Why the F#$k would you give up that money?

- Do you realize how LITTLE you will be paid?

- Do you have ANY experience working with the Gov't?

- Do you realize how thankless this job is and how your primary goal will be to move files?

- How do we know you just aren't desperate for a job?

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Do you ever feel bad prosecuting non-violent drug offenders? I don't think I could handle putting a stoner in jail for being a stoner.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:35 pm

Last edited by sublime on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:37 pm

Last edited by sublime on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:55 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Do you ever feel bad prosecuting non-violent drug offenders? I don't think I could handle putting a stoner in jail for being a stoner.

Hell no! I'll tell you why.

#1. Stoners don't go to jail. Despite what you read on the Huffington Post, nobody is sitting in PRISON for simple possession. If you are in prison for weed, then you are a SERIOUS DEALER or you have a HORRIBLE record that has earned you a bed in the DOC.

#2. "Non-violent" is a catch-word that people don't understand. Burglary and Arson are "non-violent" crimes. If you have a criminal history, I really don't care what your motivation/addiction was, you are going to prison for breaking into someone's house.

Kivan

Postby Kivan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:02 pm

sublime wrote:How important are stats to you and your supervisor? How does that affect possible promotion? Do you find yourself pressured by the higher ups to seek charges that may not be supported, or give out time/punishments higher (or lower, I guess) than what you would if it was your decision?

"How important are stats" - There not, at least not in my office. To the extent that my ego matters, I keep track of what trials I win or lose, but REAL Trial Lawyers will tell you that after a certain point nobody really keeps track of their win vs. lost record.

"Does it affect promotion" - Nope, in my office the only "promotion" is becoming a Team Leader. There's no extra pay, just extra responsibilities and stress and you STILL have to maintain the same caseload.

"Pressure by higher ups to seek charges that may not be supported" - NOpe, what would be the point of indicting someone on Burglary, if the evidence only points to just Theft? Why indict for Armed Robbery when I can only prove Robbery by Force? There's no magical wand that I can wave in front of the jury and say, "Hey, ignore this big gaping factual hole in my case and find him guilty just because I say so."

"Punishment" - My offers are based upon the Defendant's history and the strength of the case. If it is a weak case, then I'm not gonna recommend jail time (or much jail time). If the case is strong, then I'm not gonna keep haggling with the Defense Atty when the Defendant is being an A-hole and rejecting a reasonable offer, I'll just go to trial.

Return to “Legal Employment”