In a weird situation right now, need some guidance.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In a weird situation right now, need some guidance.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:59 pm

I'm from California, a 3L at a t-14 and worked at a medium/big firm in Illinois 2l summer. I am median or slightly above median at my school, and hoping to increase my GPA this last semester.

From the beginning of the summer, this firm told me that although they typically give out offers to all SA's, to not expect anything until very late the next year (i've heard people been given offers after they pass the bar). This creates a problem for me. The first deadline to sign up for the Bar is in about 3 weeks. I spoke with the hiring partner recently, and she made it seem like I would likely not be getting an answer before then. She also let me know that she is trying to hard to find a job for me there, including in one of the California offices. I have to decide whether to sign up for the Illinois bar exam now, with the possibility that they flat out tell me I won't be hired. This would mean I'm screwed because I have no connections in Illinois besides this firm. The other possibility is that I sign up for California, my family lives there and I was born and raised there, so I could live there while I study/look for a job. Additionally, if they do offer me a job, there's a slight possibility it's in a California office.

That's the first problem. The second problem is that I need to be preparing in the event that I don't receive an offer. In September, I mass-mailed about 50 firms, though most said they weren't hiring 3Ls. Now we're almost in February, and I have to start thinking about a backup plan. At this point, I'm open to working anywhere. Big law, med, small firms, government, public interest. What are the types of jobs that are still hiring, or don't hire until post graduation? Where can I start looking? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks for reading this long post, and thanks for the help.

mr.hands

Re: In a weird situation right now, need some guidance.

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:17 pm

The deadline for bar sign up is April 1 (for barbri). Put it off as long as possible. Also, talk to them about how difficult it is to change states.

If you have to decide, assume that you don't get the offer and take it in California. That's the safest option (esp if you wouldn't have any other reason to take Illinois)

For jobs, see if there are any state clerkships still available. Apply broadly and get recs quickly. Best of luck

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:26 pm

Take the California bar. If they do give you an offer, and it's in Illinois, you can still practice in Illinois with supervision just like anyone else who isn't admitted to the Illinois bar yet and then take the Illinois bar in February. Given their timeline, the firm has to understand (especially since it's unclear even which office they'll give you an offer in--what would they expect to happen if you took the Illinois bar and the offer you got was for California?).

At this point, I think there's little purpose to mass mailing until after you've taken and passed the bar. Many smaller firms don't hire new associates until they've passed the bar, and those are the sorts of places that will hire someone post-graduation. Similar for government, though I'm not familiar with California state/local government hiring in particular. Can't hurt to reach out now, but returns are likely to be low to zilch until you have a bar passage/admission.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Take the California bar. If they do give you an offer, and it's in Illinois, you can still practice in Illinois with supervision just like anyone else who isn't admitted to the Illinois bar yet and then take the Illinois bar in February. Given their timeline, the firm has to understand (especially since it's unclear even which office they'll give you an offer in--what would they expect to happen if you took the Illinois bar and the offer you got was for California?).

At this point, I think there's little purpose to mass mailing until after you've taken and passed the bar. Many smaller firms don't hire new associates until they've passed the bar. Similar for government, though I'm not familiar with California state/local government hiring in particular.

I agree with bolded, but I disagree with not looking for stuff.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Take the California bar. If they do give you an offer, and it's in Illinois, you can still practice in Illinois with supervision just like anyone else who isn't admitted to the Illinois bar yet and then take the Illinois bar in February. Given their timeline, the firm has to understand (especially since it's unclear even which office they'll give you an offer in--what would they expect to happen if you took the Illinois bar and the offer you got was for California?).

At this point, I think there's little purpose to mass mailing until after you've taken and passed the bar. Many smaller firms don't hire new associates until they've passed the bar. Similar for government, though I'm not familiar with California state/local government hiring in particular.

I agree with bolded, but I disagree with not looking for stuff.

Yeah, should have been more clear. It can't hurt to keep mass mailing, but I wouldn't expect much/anything before bar passage.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:54 pm

mr.hands wrote:The deadline for bar sign up is April 1 (for barbri). Put it off as long as possible. Also, talk to them about how difficult it is to change states.

If you have to decide, assume that you don't get the offer and take it in California. That's the safest option (esp if you wouldn't have any other reason to take Illinois)

For jobs, see if there are any state clerkships still available. Apply broadly and get recs quickly. Best of luck

I was aware that the first deadline to sign up for the bar was Feb 15th? After that, the fee keeps increasing. Is this right?

During my final evaluation, I made it known that Feb 15th is the deadline, and about this decision I had to make. You guys are right though, if worst comes to worst, I'll be taking it in California.

Return to “Legal Employment”