Drop out or Stay?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

should I stay or should I go?

Total votes: 17

Anonymous User

Drop out or Stay?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:44 am

Want to keep this anon.

I need to make a decision pretty soon (within a week) so I can get half tuition back.

School: TTT
1L Summer: SSct lined up
UG Degree: Econ. 1 year of work experience
Debt: $130k as of May
->Have not used any forbearance, so realistically I could if need be for a year or two in finding work
Cost: 15k per year + cost of living
->Total at time of graduation $175k
Goals: Legal Employment (want to run for office in 10 years or so)
->Upon research into politicians they are either Lawyers, Accountants, Drs or Small business owners
->Am willing to go solo, if I could find someone to show me how to do basic tasks

1. Have been given the wink/nod for acceptance into MAcc degree at current school. Will still graduate with 175k (tuition is the same for all grad programs).
2. Sales Jobs
3. Retail Management Training Programs (open to it. not really gung ho about it)
4. MPP in DC (I should have chose that before going to law school, but I figured a JD is more employable in policy/gov than a MPP) - total debt load = 185kish

*In law school because I could not find a job in banking (investment, commercial, or otherwise).
*Parents are caught up in boomer mindset that a JD is applicable to other fields.

*Cost/Benefit analysis shows that financially it makes more sense to leave. 35-45k in Retail is worth more than negative 25k per year. However, I do not know how big the URM bump would be in JD hiring (PD/DA/Small Firm) so I cannot assume wages other than a 45k salary. 45k in a month is more valuable than 45k in 2 years (with the addition of bar loans).

*If I leave, I am dropping in a week. I will not finish the semester out*

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Drop out or Stay?

Postby FSK » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:03 am

Drop Out for sure. When you do go for the MPP, make sure you don't make the same mistakes. Good luck.

Re: Drop out or Stay?

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 am

You don't want to be a lawyer, so drop out. Everything else is just an additional set of reasons why you should drop out.

Return to “Legal Employment”