Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I found a place for 1600 a month. It's a block away from my office in uptown. Is this something I should jump on?

ETA: And the quote explodes at the end of the day.... What would you do?

Is it a high rise? Is it furnished? If yes, I would jump on it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I found a place for 1600 a month. It's a block away from my office in uptown. Is this something I should jump on?

ETA: And the quote explodes at the end of the day.... What would you do?

Is it a high rise? Is it furnished? If yes, I would jump on it.

Not furnished, but yes, 8th floor in a building. That's a reservation, but I figure I only need to Craigslist a bed and a desk. I can drive other stuff down from my LS apartment.

Thanks for talking about this with me. I've never lived in a city before and I'm just generally terrified that I'm going to get ripped off.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:23 pm

That seems very expensive to me but I guess if it's uptown it's not horrible. I got something for about $1000 in Noda and $900 in Southend, fully furnished, for 11 weeks. Craigslist has lots of options for much cheaper than that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That seems very expensive to me but I guess if it's uptown it's not horrible. I got something for about $1000 in Noda and $900 in Southend, fully furnished, for 11 weeks. Craigslist has lots of options for much cheaper than that.

Mind outing the complexes? I'd drive down there right now to sign a lease for something furnished under 1k within driving distance. Craigslist has been pretty useless for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That seems very expensive to me but I guess if it's uptown it's not horrible. I got something for about $1000 in Noda and $900 in Southend, fully furnished, for 11 weeks. Craigslist has lots of options for much cheaper than that.

Mind outing the complexes? I'd drive down there right now to sign a lease for something furnished under 1k within driving distance. Craigslist has been pretty useless for me.

Places in Southend I found good offers were in the Silos and The Fountains. The other places in Noda and Southpark were condos etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:19 pm

How's everybody doing on housing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How's everybody doing on housing?

Found a good spot, 1100 per month for furnished 2 BR, with parking and gym membership about 1.5 miles from uptown. Very nice space too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Found a good spot, 1100 per month for furnished 2 BR, with parking and gym membership about 1.5 miles from uptown. Very nice space too.

How/where'd you find it? You splitting with someone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How/where'd you find it? You splitting with someone?

So I found this one on Air BnB, and another I almost took just on Craigslist. C-List actually has a number of solid summer rentals available.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Found a 1x1 studio in uptown for $999/month for 4 months (total of 4k; it seems like the shortest period anyone seems to offer in the loop is 4 months unfortunately) about a 15 minute walk/5 minute drive from my office. You guys are the only other people I know who know the market, so do you think I should jump on this?

FlamingDragon

Postby FlamingDragon » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Found a 1x1 studio in uptown for $999/month for 4 months (total of 4k; it seems like the shortest period anyone seems to offer in the loop is 4 months unfortunately) about a 15 minute walk/5 minute drive from my office. You guys are the only other people I know who know the market, so do you think I should jump on this?

4 months seems like a very long time - won't your program only be 10 weeks? I found a place for exactly 10 weeks. You should try negotiating for at least a 3 month lease, rather than biting the bullet on an extra 6 weeks' rent. But the /month rate is solid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:10 pm

FlamingDragon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Found a 1x1 studio in uptown for $999/month for 4 months (total of 4k; it seems like the shortest period anyone seems to offer in the loop is 4 months unfortunately) about a 15 minute walk/5 minute drive from my office. You guys are the only other people I know who know the market, so do you think I should jump on this?

4 months seems like a very long time - won't your program only be 10 weeks? I found a place for exactly 10 weeks. You should try negotiating for at least a 3 month lease, rather than biting the bullet on an extra 6 weeks' rent. But the /month rate is solid.

Above anon here. I don't know whether it was just my luck or what, but every single place that I talked to would only offer 4-month leases and above and were very inflexible. I've been looking pretty diligently for a couple months, too. Maybe it's because I was only hunting for a 1x1. My SA is a little over 10 weeks (which is pretty weird on its own), so I'll get 2 weeks before my start date to move in and about a month after my end date to I guess hang out in Charlotte before 3L? Whatever. I pulled the trigger this morning pretty much just to be done with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FlamingDragon wrote:

Above anon here. I don't know whether it was just my luck or what, but every single place that I talked to would only offer 4-month leases and above and were very inflexible. I've been looking pretty diligently for a couple months, too. Maybe it's because I was only hunting for a 1x1. My SA is a little over 10 weeks (which is pretty weird on its own), so I'll get 2 weeks before my start date to move in and about a month after my end date to I guess hang out in Charlotte before 3L? Whatever. I pulled the trigger this morning pretty much just to be done with it.

This is above poster b4 you. Meh, why not, it's still a decent deal and you can get to know the city some if you're not from the area. That is extremely atypical to have a program over 10 weeks in Charlotte. Most big area firms are 8, and the bigger national guys are 10, so 10+ is a standout. Do you mind saying which firm? If that's too much info due to size, no worries.

lawstudent_87

Postby lawstudent_87 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Is anyone still looking for a place? The guy I rented from last summer told me he has a two story 2bd/2.5ba available on May 15 (I don't know any other details). I know he'll be willing to do a short term lease. PM me if interested and I can give you his number.

Return to “Legal Employment”