Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:10 pm

Hey, I will be working in Charlotte this summer at a large national firm and am interested in connecting with others who bill be SA'ing at Charlotte firms. Even with class sizes rebounding in size, I think it's still a relatively small number of people going to the major player firms.

Buck Strickland
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Buck Strickland » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:13 pm

I'll be applying to a lot of Charlotte firms in the coming weeks. Do you mind posting your stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:12 pm

Buck Strickland wrote:I'll be applying to a lot of Charlotte firms in the coming weeks. Do you mind posting your stats?


In the coming weeks - are you talking about a 1L position? Are you a URM? Stats below:

Top 5 School, Top 3rd of class aprox., no journal, finance work experience, not URM, elite undergrad, ties to NC (but not Charlotte).

Buck Strickland
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Buck Strickland » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:14 pm

Yeah, I'll be applying as a 1L. We didn't get our grades until very recently and still haven't gotten our class ranks. Non-URM, but NC native.

KM2016
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby KM2016 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Buck Strickland wrote:Yeah, I'll be applying as a 1L. We didn't get our grades until very recently and still haven't gotten our class ranks. Non-URM, but NC native.


Honestly, that ship has probably sailed. You should have applied Dec. 1st or shortly thereafter, and then sent your grades to those who were still interested/those who requested grades.

As a non-URM, I'd be willing to bet a good sum of money you're not getting a 1L SA in a small market like Charlotte unless you're top of your class at HYS.

Buck Strickland
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Buck Strickland » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:14 pm

Career office thinks differently... but we'll see what happens. The good news is that Charlotte is not the only area I'm targeting and I'm also looking at things outside of big law.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:29 pm

For 1L's - if you're diverse & have strong ties to Charlotte, absolutely apply to this. Lots of people outside T14 got callbacks last year http://www.meckbar.org/newsevents/news_ ... nt_id=7294

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:07 pm

I'll be doing an SA in Charlotte. How are you guys finding housing? Ideally I'd like to find a Charlotte Law kid that wants to sublet his place in Uptown.

FlamingDragon
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby FlamingDragon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be doing an SA in Charlotte. How are you guys finding housing? Ideally I'd like to find a Charlotte Law kid that wants to sublet his place in Uptown.


I am also having trouble finding housing. PM me anon. if you figure anything out or would consider getting a place together.

Responding to the 1L non URM above, there is literally 0.000001% chance you will secure a 1L biglaw position in Charlotte. My career services fed me the same bullshit my 1L year (I go to a top school) and it doesn't matter if you're white. There is probably between 0 and 1 1L spot at each biglaw firm in town and they will all go to URMs, or at least they did last year, via diversity hiring conferences and other similar forums. By all means try but it's not going to pan out, IMO.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:03 pm

2014 Charlotte SA here. I found housing through craigslist and was able to find a condo in Uptown. The thing about housing is that it's difficult to find places that are furnished and will agree to a 3 month lease.

There are a number of "corporate" rental services in Charlotte that will provide a 3 month lease with furnishings. They are pretty expensive though (like 2k+ a month for a 1 bedroom, although convenient if you MUST live in Uptown and just want to get the search over with). They are pretty easy to find through google.

I think your best bet is to look through craigslist even though it can be pretty time intensive. You should be able to rent a furnished condo from an owner for less than a corporate rental.

For reference, I ended up living with another summer in a fully furnished two bedroom/two bathroom in a pretty nice condo in Uptown for $3300/mo.

FlamingDragon
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby FlamingDragon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:2014 Charlotte SA here. I found housing through craigslist and was able to find a condo in Uptown. The thing about housing is that it's difficult to find places that are furnished and will agree to a 3 month lease.

There are a number of "corporate" rental services in Charlotte that will provide a 3 month lease with furnishings. They are pretty expensive though (like 2k+ a month for a 1 bedroom, although convenient if you MUST live in Uptown and just want to get the search over with). They are pretty easy to find through google.

I think your best bet is to look through craigslist even though it can be pretty time intensive. You should be able to rent a furnished condo from an owner for less than a corporate rental.

For reference, I ended up living with another summer in a fully furnished two bedroom/two bathroom in a pretty nice condo in Uptown for $3300/mo.


Was it a sublet or just a place that allowed you to do a short lease?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:27 pm

FlamingDragon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be doing an SA in Charlotte. How are you guys finding housing? Ideally I'd like to find a Charlotte Law kid that wants to sublet his place in Uptown.


I am also having trouble finding housing. PM me anon. if you figure anything out or would consider getting a place together.

Responding to the 1L non URM above, there is literally 0.000001% chance you will secure a 1L biglaw position in Charlotte. My career services fed me the same bullshit my 1L year (I go to a top school) and it doesn't matter if you're white. There is probably between 0 and 1 1L spot at each biglaw firm in town and they will all go to URMs, or at least they did last year, via diversity hiring conferences and other similar forums. By all means try but it's not going to pan out, IMO.


Former Charlotte 1L big law SA here (now a practicing second-year big-law attorney), non-URM, Tier 1 school, top 10%. It's doable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:43 pm

FlamingDragon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2014 Charlotte SA here. I found housing through craigslist and was able to find a condo in Uptown. The thing about housing is that it's difficult to find places that are furnished and will agree to a 3 month lease.

There are a number of "corporate" rental services in Charlotte that will provide a 3 month lease with furnishings. They are pretty expensive though (like 2k+ a month for a 1 bedroom, although convenient if you MUST live in Uptown and just want to get the search over with). They are pretty easy to find through google.

I think your best bet is to look through craigslist even though it can be pretty time intensive. You should be able to rent a furnished condo from an owner for less than a corporate rental.

For reference, I ended up living with another summer in a fully furnished two bedroom/two bathroom in a pretty nice condo in Uptown for $3300/mo.


Was it a sublet or just a place that allowed you to do a short lease?


I was able to rent it directly from a condo owner and he let me do a 3 month lease.

FlamingDragon
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby FlamingDragon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
FlamingDragon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2014 Charlotte SA here. I found housing through craigslist and was able to find a condo in Uptown. The thing about housing is that it's difficult to find places that are furnished and will agree to a 3 month lease.

There are a number of "corporate" rental services in Charlotte that will provide a 3 month lease with furnishings. They are pretty expensive though (like 2k+ a month for a 1 bedroom, although convenient if you MUST live in Uptown and just want to get the search over with). They are pretty easy to find through google.

I think your best bet is to look through craigslist even though it can be pretty time intensive. You should be able to rent a furnished condo from an owner for less than a corporate rental.

For reference, I ended up living with another summer in a fully furnished two bedroom/two bathroom in a pretty nice condo in Uptown for $3300/mo.


Was it a sublet or just a place that allowed you to do a short lease?


I was able to rent it directly from a condo owner and he let me do a 3 month lease.


If you have his info actually I'd appreciate it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30 am

Hey, curious if you got a sense of if it's too late period at this point for the Charlotte market. Didn't apply earlier, because frankly I didn't expect to get such good grades. I'm non-urm from NC and top 10% at HYS.

Cheers.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby North » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, curious if you got a sense of if it's too late period at this point for the Charlotte market. Didn't apply earlier, because frankly I didn't expect to get such good grades. I'm non-urm from NC and top 10% at HYS.

Cheers.

You 1Ls need to just apply and let the firms answer this for you. It's not like you have anything to lose.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey, curious if you got a sense of if it's too late period at this point for the Charlotte market. Didn't apply earlier, because frankly I didn't expect to get such good grades. I'm non-urm from NC and top 10% at HYS.

Cheers.


As I said above, it's an uphill battle in NC b/c each firm will take only 1 1L, but coming from a top 5 school with excellent grades makes you somewhat of an exception so definitely go for it - it cannot hurt, particularly given that they don't see many top 5 school applicants.

Odds are against you particularly because you applied late, but like the other poster noted, no reason not to spend 30 minutes applying. Again, any of the firms will fill the 1 1L spot with URMs from diversity recruiting fairs and programs but a few might not or may take a second 1L if you seem like a good fit.

Lastly, if you interview and they like you but decide not to take you, it's a great way to have a foot in the door, interview priority, etc. for 2L recruiting if you remain interested in Charlotte.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Okay am I dreaming if I want to find something under $1,000k/month in Uptown? What's the cheapest we can get away with (assuming no roommate, though that'd make it easier) and still be able to walk to work? I'd hate to try driving in because I imagine that the traffic is terrible, but I've never lived in a big city.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay am I dreaming if I want to find something under $1,000k/month in Uptown? What's the cheapest we can get away with (assuming no roommate, though that'd make it easier) and still be able to walk to work? I'd hate to try driving in because I imagine that the traffic is terrible, but I've never lived in a big city.



It's going to be very difficult to find a 3 month lease in Uptown for $1000/mo. Johnson & Wales offers summer housing (dorms) which are very inexpensive but these are usually sold out by now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:53 am

Are any of y'all considering not living Uptown? Seems like you can rent what is essentially a mansion in the inner-suburbs for around 1k.

It would be so cool to live in the city, though.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby AT9 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:25 pm

Checking in as someone unlikely to get an SA but still seeking/trying for 2L. I'm at a regional tier 1 in the top 5%, non-URM. Mass e-mailed most of the biglaw firms when I got my grades back in early/mid-January, but no luck so far (unsurprisingly).

That said, I have 1L OCI screeners this week with a few Charlotte firms. Wish me luck!

FlamingDragon
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby FlamingDragon » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:32 am

I am looking at potentially living in Southend, a nice area, which is quite close to uptown and has easy access on the light rail.

To poster above, how are you seeking 2L and 1L positions at the same time? What year are you? If you're a 2L, classes are almost surely filled by now.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby AT9 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:13 am

FlamingDragon wrote:I am looking at potentially living in Southend, a nice area, which is quite close to uptown and has easy access on the light rail.

To poster above, how are you seeking 2L and 1L positions at the same time? What year are you? If you're a 2L, classes are almost surely filled by now.


Sorry, I meant that I'm a 1L now and sent apps knowing it was unlikely, but that many of the firms I applied to will be hearing from me again either at 2L OCI or through mailing. If I don't get a 1L position, I hope to get a 2L SA later this year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273241
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:07 pm

I found a place for 1600 a month. It's a block away from my office in uptown. Is this something I should jump on?

ETA: And the quote explodes at the end of the day.... What would you do?

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Charlotte BigLaw Summer Associate Class of 2015

Postby North » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I found a place for 1600 a month. It's a block away from my office in uptown. Is this something I should jump on?

ETA: And the quote explodes at the end of the day.... What would you do?

My roomate's doing Charlotte and he's said $2,000 is looking like the going rate for a 3 month term in Uptown. Other people will probably have better insight than that, though.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.