OPM e-QIP Employer Contact

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OPM e-QIP Employer Contact

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Currently clerking. And I accepted a position to go back to my summer firm. But I recently received a tentative offer to join the Gov (think DOJ, DoD, etc) subject to a background investigation. I really want to accept the gov job, but I am worried about the ethical concerns of reneging on the law firm. Especially because of the OPM e-QIP background investigation process for the government. Will the investigators call my summer firm?

What is the best way to approach this? Will the government/background investigator for OPM e-QIP reach out to the firm? I dont want the firm to hear of my planned departure from the background investigator. At the same time, I dont want to piss the firm off before the background investigator calls.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Anonymous User

Re: OPM e-QIP Employer Contact

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Currently clerking. And I accepted a position to go back to my summer firm. But I recently received a tentative offer to join the Gov (think DOJ, DoD, etc) subject to a background investigation. I really want to accept the gov job, but I am worried about the ethical concerns of reneging on the law firm. Especially because of the OPM e-QIP background investigation process for the government. Will the investigators call my summer firm?

What is the best way to approach this? Will the government/background investigator for OPM e-QIP reach out to the firm? I dont want the firm to hear of my planned departure from the background investigator. At the same time, I dont want to piss the firm off before the background investigator calls.

I would really appreciate any advice.

If your clearance is at least at the "Public Trust-Background Investigation" level, they will most likely reach out to the firm to verify that you worked there for the summer. However, they will most likely reach out to only the person that you put in the eQIP form as your supervisor at that firm. Your best bet is to let that person know about your situation and see if he/she will not tell anyone that you are taking a job elsewhere.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Yes to the above, for the logistics of keeping the firm from finding out about the offer (although it's not really "tentative" unless you know there are issues with your background check - they only run the check for people they're hiring. They just can't officially say you're hired until the check is done).

But there isn't anything unethical about changing your mind and taking a different job, and not going back to the firm. At will employment works both ways.

ch2262

Postby ch2262 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Current DOJ employee here with a Public Trust background clearance.

They're most likely going to talk to more people at your workplace and not just your supervisor or contact that you listed. In my experience, it really depends on who your background check agent will be, but upon going to your office - yes in-person visits - they will also ask if there are other people whom you worked with that will vouch for you.

Happy to answer more questions on this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:03 pm

ch2262 wrote:Current DOJ employee here with a Public Trust background clearance.

They're most likely going to talk to more people at your workplace and not just your supervisor or contact that you listed. In my experience, it really depends on who your background check agent will be, but upon going to your office - yes in-person visits - they will also ask if there are other people whom you worked with that will vouch for you.

Do they do this will only your current employer? Or also former employers?

ch2262

Postby ch2262 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ch2262 wrote:Current DOJ employee here with a Public Trust background clearance.

Do they do this will only your current employer? Or also former employers?

They do this with all your former employers to the extent that it's possible. If your former supervisor has already left the place of employment, they will also reach out to the place of employment themselves and ask around.

The agents are usually very nice about asking you for contacts / reminders. Nonetheless, once they're there, how intricate they ask around is up to them.

Return to “Legal Employment”