Advice: Presidential Management Fellow or State Clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice: Presidential Management Fellow or State Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:19 pm

Presidential Management Fellowship, non-legal GS-12 gaurenteed job in 2 years could progress much higher but non-attorney role

or

2 year state trial court clerkship

Kind of still want to be an attorney but I'm more attracted to PSLF have big debt (140k). What do exit options look like for state clerks? Feds pay more.

Anonymous User

Re: Advice: Presidential Management Fellow or State Clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Depends entirely on what the PMF position is. Some PMF positions are amazing while others are terrible. If the PMF position is policy-oriented and in an agency where you have a strong interest in the work, then I'd say that's the best outcome since exit options from state trial clerkships are uncertain and generally only to small firms that pay badly.

Nomo

Postby Nomo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:14 pm

I thought PMF didn't even announce finalists until the spring. If that's the case then you're probably better off taking the job that's on the table. You can always take the clerkship and reapply for PMF in 2 years. Ideally you'll have competing job offers (some legal, some PMF) around the time you are finishing up your clerkship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:21 pm

OP, I'm a 2014 grad already appointed as a PMF I'm considering leaving for a state clerkship.

Return to “Legal Employment”