Law Clerk/Staff Attorney/Fellowships at BigLaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Law Clerk/Staff Attorney/Fellowships at BigLaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:09 pm

Does anybody know if these positions exists, and, if so, where to find them? I have been licensed for a year and went to a T1, but I definitely don't have the GPA/pedigree typical of a BigLaw hire. I would be more than happy to take a position that pays a third of a BigLaw associates' salary just for the opportunity to get the foot in the door. Anybody have any thoughts?

ZyzzBrah

Re: Law Clerk/Staff Attorney/Fellowships at BigLaw?

Postby ZyzzBrah » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:18 pm

yes they exist--staff attys at skadden make $100k for instance

however, many of these positions are clear: you will not become an associate

As for fellowships some bigfirms have them but they are just as competitive as getting an associate position (ie FFs fellowship, skadden fellowship)

Anonymous User

Re: Law Clerk/Staff Attorney/Fellowships at BigLaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:14 pm

ZyzzBrah wrote:yes they exist--staff attys at skadden make $100k for instance

however, many of these positions are clear: you will not become an associate

As for fellowships some bigfirms have them but they are just as competitive as getting an associate position (ie FFs fellowship, skadden fellowship)

This. The staff attorney positions are typically bullshit like doc review, but they do pay pretty decently ($100-125k /year isn't atypical for a staff attorney who's been doing it for a few years). You probably won't acquire marketable skills, so there's that, but it might be better than your other options.

Fellowships tend to be more orientated towards public interest work, rather than becoming a full-time associate at the firm. Skadden fellowship definitely will not lead to becoming a Skadden associate--the Skadden foundation is not a part of Skadden; it's just something that Skadden donates money to, so that they seem less evil. FF claims you are encouraged to interview to return to FF, but I suspect most fellows don't. Moreover, I'd argue that these fellowships are more competitive than actual associate positions, since there's so few of them that are granted each year and basically every single PI orientated person applies to them (particularly the Skadden fellowship).

There's really no backdoor way into biglaw. Literally the easiest way into biglaw is through a 2L SA. If you're not competitive enough to get one of those SAs, you're most likely not going to get into biglaw (the only exception I can think of for this are t14 transfers back in 2009 who got locked out of SAs because firms just weren't hiring transfers, but then many of them crushed their 2L year, clerked for art III judges, and managed to get into biglaw after the economy picked up again last year).

Return to “Legal Employment”