1L at T10 with Q

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L at T10 with Q

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:03 pm

I got my first semester grades back and wound up with 3 As and an A-. Over break and before grades I sent out applications and had an interview with a medium sized local firm where I'm from. When I sent out my grades I got an offer back right away with my response due by early February. I also just sent grades to a bunch of other firms I had applied to earlier as well, but haven't heard anything back from them. Should I be looking to go after a larger firm with my grades or should I take the offer I have? I don't know what's reasonable to expect given my grades/the state of 1L firm hiring. Thanks!

kaiser

Re: 1L at T10 with Q

Postby kaiser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:07 pm

I'd give it a week or 2, and see what other firms say. I'm sure you will get at least a bite or two. But honestly, it doesn't matter in the end. 1L summer is just a way to get a bit of experience and to have something to talk about come OCI. And assuming you continue your academic performance, you are going to kill it at OCI regardless. So do whatever makes you happy 1L summer, since you will have your choice of the best firms when you interview later this year.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:12 pm

If the pay is the same, then I would take it right away. Won't make a different during OCI (if you maintain your grades you'll be within the top 5% probably).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:15 pm

mvp99 wrote:If the pay is the same, then I would take it right away. Won't make a different during OCI (if you maintain your grades you'll be within the top 5% probably).

Pay would be 10k for 10 weeks. That seems lower than at a larger firm, but I don't actually know.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mvp99 wrote:If the pay is the same, then I would take it right away. Won't make a different during OCI (if you maintain your grades you'll be within the top 5% probably).

Pay would be 10k for 10 weeks. That seems lower than at a larger firm, but I don't actually know.

It is lower.. about a third of what you would earn at a large firm. Give it a few weeks. I think there is a real chance you'll get something better. I think the February deadline is a pressure tactic.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:22 pm

Transfer.

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:26 pm

mvp99 wrote:I think the February deadline is a pressure tactic.

Or, they're following NALP guidelines for 1L offers.

NALP Guidelines wrote: All offers to first year students for summer employment should remain open for at least two weeks after the date made.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got my first semester grades back and wound up with 3 As and an A-. Over break and before grades I sent out applications and had an interview with a medium sized local firm where I'm from. When I sent out my grades I got an offer back right away with my response due by early February. I also just sent grades to a bunch of other firms I had applied to earlier as well, but haven't heard anything back from them. Should I be looking to go after a larger firm with my grades or should I take the offer I have? I don't know what's reasonable to expect given my grades/the state of 1L firm hiring. Thanks!

What is your prior work experience?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got my first semester grades back and wound up with 3 As and an A-. Over break and before grades I sent out applications and had an interview with a medium sized local firm where I'm from. When I sent out my grades I got an offer back right away with my response due by early February. I also just sent grades to a bunch of other firms I had applied to earlier as well, but haven't heard anything back from them. Should I be looking to go after a larger firm with my grades or should I take the offer I have? I don't know what's reasonable to expect given my grades/the state of 1L firm hiring. Thanks!

I was in Teach For America for two years and taught for a third year before coming to law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was in Teach For America for two years and taught for a third year before coming to law school.

Congrats on your fantastic grades bro!!

Hopefully I see you in Austin ;)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats on your fantastic grades bro!!

Hopefully I see you in Austin ;)

You found me! We'll see. :)

Return to “Legal Employment”