Interview with biglaw corporate dept-- tips please

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hopefulcorporate

Interview with biglaw corporate dept-- tips please

Postby hopefulcorporate » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:28 pm

I have an interview next month with the corporate dept of a law firm for a first-year associate position. I'm keeping this vague for anonymity purposes, but I'd truly appreciate any general tips from practicing (or future) corporate attorneys on what I need to stress in the interview. This is my dream job, so I really want to hit this one out of the park. Thanks!

mvp99

Re: Interview with biglaw corporate dept-- tips please

Postby mvp99 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:54 am

I think you need to provide more info otherwise you'll only get generic tips.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Do you have any flaws in your application (i.e. bad grades, lack of work experience that is relevant, etc)? If so, I would be prepared to answer questions on those things. If you went to a good school and have decent grades, then the interview should be fairly straightforward, just be personable and confident and try to tie in past experiences with reasons why you want to be there.

TTTooKewl

Postby TTTooKewl » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Research the types of clients the firm represents. Those are the types of clients you have wanted to represent since you were 5.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:17 pm

Definitely know what clients/industries that this corporate group works for and be able to bring that up in the interview (at least just asking them about what they've experienced/learned with that type of work) just to show that you've done your reasearch. But don't be stupid and make up something about that you've always dreamed doing capital markets work for underwriters in the life sciences industry.

Past that, try to make a personal connection with the people in the office (whether its about sports or lifestyle or hobbies) and have a regular conversation.

Return to “Legal Employment”