DNC 1L 3.0 first semester

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DNC 1L 3.0 first semester

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:52 pm

I know it will be a hard road to be competitive at OCI, but right now I'm wondering how I should approach 1L summer.

1. CSO advises students in my position to send a transcript with a cover sheet saying it's not a reflection of their true ability, etc. Is this a good idea?

2. How should I approach updating employers to whom I sent a transcript placeholder earlier in the month?

3. 1L summer seems unimportant to firms at OCI, but about non-firm employers? What can I do that may give me a better shot at a reasonably attainable non-OCI career path in the event that I'm job hunting well into 3L?

4. Are there any federal agencies that are not grade-sensitive?

misanthrope

Re: DNC 1L 3.0 first semester

Postby misanthrope » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:26 am

Yes, your prospects will be a whole T14 sub-tier better than if you were at G with a 3.0.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:15 am

Bump

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know it will be a hard road to be competitive at OCI, but right now I'm wondering how I should approach 1L summer.

1. CSO advises students in my position to send a transcript with a cover sheet saying it's not a reflection of their true ability, etc. Is this a good idea?

2. How should I approach updating employers to whom I sent a transcript placeholder earlier in the month?

3. 1L summer seems unimportant to firms at OCI, but about non-firm employers? What can I do that may give me a better shot at a reasonably attainable non-OCI career path in the event that I'm job hunting well into 3L?

4. Are there any federal agencies that are not grade-sensitive?

1. Not a bad idea. But 1L summer jobs are plentiful if you are willing to take anything, which you should be. You shouldn't need to send out that letter to secure some PI job.

2. I would say just send your transcript and that small addendum. Again, for PI it shouldn't matter. I'd expect the door closed for chambers/firms but you may be happy

3. PI jobs generally look more toward a "strong commitment to PI" in general or a specific practice area. Thus, if you are thinking for 2L you may want to work for the DA, this summer it would look better 2L to have done something with a DA or crim prosecution in 1L. (this is just an example i'm not sure of specifics within the many types of jobs under "PI")

4. Not sure. My slightly informed guess is that it's possible to get fed agencies if you do #3 well + interview well but a 3.0 is definitely going to hurt you and you shouldn't bank on it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Return to “Legal Employment”