Penn 1L Grades B, B-, B-

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
penn278

Re: Penn 1L Grades B, B-, B-

Postby penn278 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:02 pm

Talk to CPP and they may be able to set you up with a consultant. One of my friends had very similar grades (even after 2 semesters) and they had her work with a consultant who coached her about getting a big law job in a difficult market. It worked out nicely! PM me with questions too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:11 pm

VictoryGin wrote:PM me!

OP here. Just saw this thread and figured I'd update for anyone else going into OCI with bad grades. Update: Didn't do much better gradewise second semester (B+, B, B, B-). I landed a job with a v50 for 2L SA.

Sub 3.0 GPA, so you can definitely land biglaw if you network and interview absolutely everywhere. I managed to do 58-61 screeners last summer (lost count somewhere along the way), got 6 total CBs (3 v50, 3 v100), attended 5 of them, and landed 2 offers.

I got a little lucky, and definitely interviewed well (because I practiced a ton, even prior to my first screener). This process will be hard and stressful, but it can be done. I mass mailed applications to probably over 200 firms throughout the end of June and into early July, in all major markets on the East and West coasts (and possibly some in between like TX, but I don't really remember specifically).

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
VictoryGin wrote:PM me!

OP here. Just saw this thread and figured I'd update for anyone else going into OCI with bad grades. Update: Didn't do much better gradewise second semester (B+, B, B, B-). I landed a job with a v50 for 2L SA.

Sub 3.0 GPA, so you can definitely land biglaw if you network and interview absolutely everywhere. I managed to do 58-61 screeners last summer (lost count somewhere along the way), got 6 total CBs (3 v50, 3 v100), attended 5 of them, and landed 2 offers.

I got a little lucky, and definitely interviewed well (because I practiced a ton, even prior to my first screener). This process will be hard and stressful, but it can be done. I mass mailed applications to probably over 200 firms throughout the end of June and into early July, in all major markets on the East and West coasts (and possibly some in between like TX, but I don't really remember specifically).

That's good to hear. Great work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:54 pm

Another Penn here. I did only slightly better (B, B+, B- 1st semester and A, B-, B, B 2nd semester) and did just fine. Offer going into OCI, 9 CB, 4 offers (one from V20, chose satellite V50). For the flack that they get, CP&P (especially Suzanne) are really helpful and put in work to make sure most people land somewhere. If you interview somewhat well and/or have interesting work experience, you'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another Penn here. I did only slightly better (B, B+, B- 1st semester and A, B-, B, B 2nd semester) and did just fine. Offer going into OCI, 9 CB, 4 offers (one from V20, chose satellite V50). For the flack that they get, CP&P (especially Suzanne) are really helpful and put in work to make sure most people land somewhere. If you interview somewhat well and/or have interesting work experience, you'll be fine.

Agree with this. Suzanne was who I worked with primarily. She was very helpful, but you also have to seek out CP&P and put in some leg work on your own. They aren't going to do it all for you, but people just expect to knock on their door and they'll just have a job offer waiting. They'll guide you on where to place your efforts and how to be strategic, but it'll still come down to your effort and hustle.

Return to “Legal Employment”