DF Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gulcregret

Bronze

Re: Proof Biglaw Sucks

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:46 pm

ymmv wrote:
gulcregret wrote:Worked in both and honestly the only difference for me was that people in government generally don't expect you to work on the weekends despite deadlines approaching. Admittedly I am not in NY so maybe that's why so many people on here hate biglaw. Or does everyone just work for that insane partner at the firm?
Lol even if that were the only difference it seems like a huge fucking difference.
Only difference for me, no idea how others deal with it. I went from a bank regulator to biglaw. It's not that big of a difference really, again for me and my practice group, as I have worked maybe a handful of weekends over my time here.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:48 pm

Everyone saying this is a DF problem, look at the other threads bouncing around the homepage. Some people get lucky, but it has nothing to do with making your own luck. It's just pure luck that some people get great groups.

Hardest worker I know who woke up 5am every day worked till late in law school M-F and put in weekend hours too - "Biglaw sucks." Clearly it's not just the hours you noobs.

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:50 pm

Cogburn87 wrote:
gulcregret wrote:
Cogburn87 wrote:Or maybe they're actually right and biglaw is generally shit everywhere
All these people complaining about hating their jobs but still have time to post on a message board and make $600/day. Biglaw is not shit in DC at least not in my practice area. I really am sorry for you all that hate your jobs and I am not being sarcastic or trying to be rude.
Yeah. I wonder how people who sit in front a computer for 12+ hours a day with irregular work flow and little supervision manage to find the time to poast. Probably means their jobs aren't that bad
Do people really sit at their desks for more than 12 hours per day with nothing to do? If people here have nothing to do they go home and if something comes up they come back or work from home. A job that allows you flexibility to post on a message board while paying you that much money is a good job. My wife worked a shit research analyst job and worked as many hours as me but never stopped working and had very little downtime. Made a third of what I make. Some perspective.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:53 pm

Well she worked a shit job too. Doesn't mean we don't work a shit job.

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:55 pm

gulcregret wrote:Do people really sit at their desks for more than 12 hours per day with nothing to do?
is that what i said?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:55 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:Well she worked a shit job too. Doesn't mean we don't work a shit job.
Yes that is accurate that one does not mean the other. Just some perspective on working shit jobs and getting compensated better.

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:56 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:Everyone saying this is a DF problem, look at the other threads bouncing around the homepage. Some people get lucky, but it has nothing to do with making your own luck. It's just pure luck that some people get great groups.

Hardest worker I know who woke up 5am every day worked till late in law school M-F and put in weekend hours too - "Biglaw sucks." Clearly it's not just the hours you noobs.
Well if this is true then not all of biglaw sucks then, right?

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:58 pm

gulcregret wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:Everyone saying this is a DF problem, look at the other threads bouncing around the homepage. Some people get lucky, but it has nothing to do with making your own luck. It's just pure luck that some people get great groups.

yea clearly not, you need only look to the parade of posters on this forum, invariably with some unicorn job or severe personality defect, dropping non sequitur "YOU CAN'T TELL ME I'M NOT HAPPY" responses to posts telling people generally that biglaw sucks don't go

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:03 pm

fats provolone wrote:
gulcregret wrote:

yea clearly not, you need only look to the parade of posters on this forum, invariably with some unicorn job or severe personality defect, dropping non sequitur "YOU CAN'T TELL ME I'M NOT HAPPY" responses to posts telling people generally that biglaw sucks don't go
I don't even know what you just said. But I only see like a few people saying biglaw sucks in this thread compared to the thousands upon thousands of actual biglaw lawyers out in the real world and what not. So you hate your job and a few others on here hate their jobs so that means all of biglaw sucks? And please don't point to turnover because that shit is driven by the pyramid scheme that is biglaw, or big consulting, or big 4 accounting, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:08 pm

that is an impressively dumb argument you have there. bravo

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:09 pm

I admittedly know nothing (3L), but some people go big law -> govt and regret the decision or go big law -> govt -> big law, as mentioned above
so I'm sure big law sucks and is very brutal, but part of the "ecstatic" response is just the "grass is greener" effect
also $ has almost no relationship to happiness once you are middle class or above, so I can believe that better working conditions might be worth a 60% pay cut

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:11 pm

fats provolone wrote:that is an impressively dumb argument you have there. bravo
lol, resort to ad hom when nothing better to say. You claimed that people on these forums say biglaw sucks so it must and I said well not everyone feels that way especially a lot of other lawyers I sopeak to about this in real life, at my firm and others. then you call me dumb. you're funny.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:15 pm

bl1nds1ght wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:4th years make 275k

leave to make GS 13 at rando government agency and never looks back.
Are you saying that's a desirable outcome? I don't know much about government pay scales.

Would you qualify for PSLF even if you started out in the private sector?
I would kill for a GS 13 job anywhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lapolicia wrote:As a fourth year from biglaw you'd almost definitely get a higher level GS-14 (closer to 120-130k). If you're getting a 13 step 1 you're doing it wrong. Still a huge pay cut though.
This. Also, a lot of people go firm -> government -> firm, and not just from the SEC or DoJ, often with the return as a partner or counsel tested for becoming partner, so it can be valuable as a career move aside from the easier hours. (Though, don't underestimate hours in government too much.)
LOL, this only happens if you become head of a DOJ component or something. Most people who go to government do not come out of government as partners at firms.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:16 pm

look bro, maybe your firm is awesome and everyone there is really happy, how the fuck would i know or care. you're missing the point entirely and a response of "well there's thousands of people not on TLS! how do we know what they think?!" coupled with "i don't want to hear about turnover" is comical

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:17 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lapolicia wrote:As a fourth year from biglaw you'd almost definitely get a higher level GS-14 (closer to 120-130k). If you're getting a 13 step 1 you're doing it wrong. Still a huge pay cut though.
This. Also, a lot of people go firm -> government -> firm, and not just from the SEC or DoJ, often with the return as a partner or counsel tested for becoming partner, so it can be valuable as a career move aside from the easier hours. (Though, don't underestimate hours in government too much.)
LOL, this only happens if you become head of a DOJ component or something. Most people who go to government do not come out of government as partners at firms.
this is TLS bro. if one person can do something, everyone can.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:19 pm

gulcregret wrote:
Cogburn87 wrote:Or maybe they're actually right and biglaw is generally shit everywhere
All these people complaining about hating their jobs but still have time to post on a message board and make $600/day. Biglaw is not shit in DC at least not in my practice area. I really am sorry for you all that hate your jobs and I am not being sarcastic or trying to be rude.
Yeah, I took 5 minutes out of my day to post on a message board. I must have HOURS of free time, given my ~1.5 post per day average (and the fact that most of my posts are usually one or two words long).

Is this guy indicative of the kinds of idiots going to law school these days?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I admittedly know nothing (3L), but some people go big law -> govt and regret the decision or go big law -> govt -> big law, as mentioned above
so I'm sure big law sucks and is very brutal, but part of the "ecstatic" response is just the "grass is greener" effect
also $ has almost no relationship to happiness once you are middle class or above, so I can believe that better working conditions might be worth a 60% pay cut
Define happiness and define middle class TYIA

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:24 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
gulcregret wrote:
Yeah, I took 5 minutes out of my day to post on a message board. I must have HOURS of free time, given my ~1.5 post per day average (and the fact that most of my posts are usually one or two words long).

Is this guy indicative of the kinds of idiots going to law school these days?
Another insult, you guys kill me. Whenever anyone disagrees with you its just insults here and there. Never said anything about hours of free time and post per day average obviously means nothing to the amount of time spent on this site. Chill out with the hostility. My post was not hostile, it was apologetic. I'm just saying there aren't many jobs that pay this much money where you have the time to even post online is all.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:25 pm

yea why are lawyers always so hostile? do your jobs suck or something?

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:27 pm

fats provolone wrote:look bro, maybe your firm is awesome and everyone there is really happy, how the fuck would i know or care. you're missing the point entirely and a response of "well there's thousands of people not on TLS! how do we know what they think?!" coupled with "i don't want to hear about turnover" is comical
I'm just trying to understand your point about biglaw sucking simply because the people in this forum think it does. I was trying to be comical here and I know the two aren't attached - it was a stupid leap on purpose. honestly man, I think you post some quality stuff on here a lot. Your point the other day about "care less" in biglaw and you won't be so depressed was gold.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:29 pm

fats provolone wrote:yea why are lawyers always so hostile? do your jobs suck or something?
It's just that anytime someone comes on here and is like "biglaw is not so bad" not even saying biglaw is the shit or awesome or anything, there's like a hnadful of bros who crush that poster.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:30 pm

because we all hate what we've done to our lives and cope with it by being overly hostile toward others. you're actually not wrong there

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:36 pm

fats provolone wrote:because we all hate what we've done to our lives and cope with it by being overly hostile toward others. you're actually not wrong there
Dude I'm not happy with my career choice either, hence my username here, but I've seen some other routes and they suck equally and don't pay as well. biglaw won't last forever for us and we will get out to something better, probably. I know I would much rather be doing something else but for the time being it is what it is. I'm too far down the rabbit hole now.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:36 pm

I wasn't being sarcastic there

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”