Proof Biglaw Sucks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Proof Biglaw Sucks

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:05 pm

4th years make 275k

leave to make GS 13 at rando government agency and never looks back.

bl1nds1ght

Re: Proof Biglaw Sucks

Postby bl1nds1ght » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:4th years make 275k

Are you saying that's a desirable outcome? I don't know much about government pay scales.

Would you qualify for PSLF even if you started out in the private sector?

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:23 pm

bl1nds1ght wrote:

Are you saying that's a desirable outcome? I don't know much about government pay scales.

Yes it is a desireable outcome. Going from 275k to 85k. People are ecstatic.

TTTooKewl

Postby TTTooKewl » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bl1nds1ght wrote:

Yes it is a desireable outcome. Going from 275k to 85k. People are ecstatic.

Mo money mo problems

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:24 pm

they just want to give back through civil service

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:26 pm

if your logic is "sure its a 200k a year paycut but they forgive your debt after 10 years!"

think about what that says about the cost of law school

lapolicia

Postby lapolicia » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:20 pm

As a fourth year from biglaw you'd almost definitely get a higher level GS-14 (closer to 120-130k). If you're getting a 13 step 1 you're doing it wrong. Still a huge pay cut though but with government hours, benefits, and loan forgiveness it makes a lot of sense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:22 pm

lapolicia wrote:As a fourth year from biglaw you'd almost definitely get a higher level GS-14 (closer to 120-130k). If you're getting a 13 step 1 you're doing it wrong. Still a huge pay cut though.

This. Also, a lot of people go firm -> government -> firm, and not just from the SEC or DoJ, often with the return as a partner or counsel tested for becoming partner, so it can be valuable as a career move aside from the easier hours. (Though, don't underestimate hours in government too much.)

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Worked in both and honestly the only difference for me was that people in government generally don't expect you to work on the weekends despite deadlines approaching. Admittedly I am not in NY so maybe that's why so many people on here hate biglaw. Or does everyone just work for that insane partner at the firm?

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:29 pm

Or maybe they're actually right and biglaw is generally shit everywhere

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:31 pm

gulcregret wrote:Worked in both and honestly the only difference for me was that people in government generally don't expect you to work on the weekends despite deadlines approaching. Admittedly I am not in NY so maybe that's why so many people on here hate biglaw. Or does everyone just work for that insane partner at the firm?

Lol even if that were the only difference it seems like a huge fucking difference.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:33 pm

gulcregret wrote:Worked in both and honestly the only difference for me was that people in government generally don't expect you to work on the weekends despite deadlines approaching. Admittedly I am not in NY so maybe that's why so many people on here hate biglaw. Or does everyone just work for that insane partner at the firm?

yea i'm in LA and weekends are sacred here. we had a brief due monday and 5:00pm sharp on friday the partners were like "let's wrap it up guys, if it's not perfect yet it's not gonna get any better over the weekend" lol @ those NYC fools.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:33 pm

My professor took a 90% pay cut to start teaching law. That's how bad biglaw sucks.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:35 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:My professor took a 90% pay cut to start teaching law. That's how bad biglaw sucks.

I would take a pay cut too after saving a couple mill.. easy decision

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:35 pm

No guis they are only taking a 60% paycut. Sooo all better.

Wahoos

Postby Wahoos » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Desert Fox was a pretty miserable dude as a law student... does it surprise anyone he is even more miserable in big law? We all know it's a step up in misery. Thanks for the pointless thread!

EDIT to clarify: Not as a person in real life, but I mean as a user of this forum
Last edited by Wahoos on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Wahoos wrote:Desert Fox was a pretty miserable dude as a law student... does it surprise anyone he is even more miserable in big law? We all know it's a step up in misery. Thanks for the pointless thread!

lol this is promising

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Wahoos wrote:Desert Fox was a pretty miserable dude as a law student... does it surprise anyone he is even more miserable in big law? We all know it's a step up in misery. Thanks for the pointless thread!

drama

please expound

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:39 pm

Cogburn87 wrote:Or maybe they're actually right and biglaw is generally shit everywhere

All these people complaining about hating their jobs but still have time to post on a message board and make $600/day. Biglaw is not shit in DC at least not in my practice area. I really am sorry for you all that hate your jobs and I am not being sarcastic or trying to be rude.

utahraptor

Postby utahraptor » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:40 pm

utahraptor wrote:

drama

please expound

wait you just seem to be some sort of UVA 3L

color me disappointed

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:40 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:My professor took a 90% pay cut to start teaching law. That's how bad biglaw sucks.

And federal judges (including our current chief justice) will sometimes take even bigger pay cuts than that. But I think that has more to do with some people really wanting to be professors and judges, and less to do with big law sucking.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Wahoo has extensive 10 week experience at SulCrom DC (Sulcrom has a DC? I know I'm surprised too). Listen to his hope and change

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:44 pm

fats provolone wrote:

yea i'm in LA and weekends are sacred here. we had a brief due monday and 5:00pm sharp on friday the partners were like "let's wrap it up guys, if it's not perfect yet it's not gonna get any better over the weekend" lol @ those NYC fools.

lol, nice sarcasm, almost thought you meant it at first read. My point was that gov doesn't really expect you to work weekends where biglaw does. Not that NY is the only place on earth where people work weekends.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Wahoo has extensive 10 week experience at SulCrom DC (Sulcrom has a DC? I know I'm surprised too). Listen to his hope and change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHvd0ks7Es

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:46 pm

gulcregret wrote:
Cogburn87 wrote:Or maybe they're actually right and biglaw is generally shit everywhere

All these people complaining about hating their jobs but still have time to post on a message board and make $600/day. Biglaw is not shit in DC at least not in my practice area. I really am sorry for you all that hate your jobs and I am not being sarcastic or trying to be rude.

Yeah. I wonder how people who sit in front a computer for 12+ hours a day with irregular work flow and little supervision manage to find the time to poast. Probably means their jobs aren't that bad

Return to “Legal Employment”