Living with your parents in the year or two after graduating

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Living with your parents in the year or two after graduating

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Who has done it? All stories and venting are welcome. It will help me feel like I'm not alone.

ruski

Re: Living with your parents in the year or two after graduating

Postby ruski » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:53 pm

I did. its awesome. you save some serious bank (esp if you're working biglaw). not such a big deal as you're rarely home anyways. just dont advertise the fact. also lets you focus all your energies on doing your job. don't have to worry about stupid like cooking/laundry/cleaning. obv you have to pitch in and I'm not saying I lived in a hotel, but when you're pulling 80 hour weeks, pretty sure your parents wont mind throwing in your dirty laundry with the load they are already doing without giving you too much grief.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:56 pm

ruski wrote:I did. its awesome. you save some serious bank (esp if you're working biglaw).

It's so so so the credited response.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:06 pm

My grandmother is sick so I recently returned home to help take care of her. I find it pretty difficult even though my parents are cool, but I am saving a shit ton of money. I find myself doing fewer fun things :(

lapolicia

Postby lapolicia » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:36 pm

I'm jealous and I wish I had the option. Putting an extra 2k a month towards loans seems pretty amazing as does not worrying about cleaning, cooking, or laundry. Unfortunately, my parents would never let me live at home unless I were unemployed.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:38 pm

AreJay711 wrote:My grandmother is sick so I recently returned home to help take care of her. I find it pretty difficult even though my parents are cool, but I am saving a shit ton of money. I find myself doing fewer fun things :(

At least you're clean now.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:42 pm

If you have a shitty family, it sucks.

If you don't, it's awesome.

LouisXIV

Postby LouisXIV » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:59 pm

You're not alone. I'm doing it after graduation. I took time off in between UG and LS and lived alone for 4 yrs. I'm doing it to put more cash toward loans. I'm trying to figure out to tell someone, "hey, wanna head back to my parent's place?" I'm joking, but I imagine dating to be impossible.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:36 am

LouisXIV wrote:You're not alone. I'm doing it after graduation. I took time off in between UG and LS and lived alone for 4 yrs. I'm doing it to put more cash toward loans. I'm trying to figure out to tell someone, "hey, wanna head back to my parent's place?" I'm joking, but I imagine dating to be impossible.

Living at home for over a year between UG and LS, I never had so much as a slight inclination to try dating. Maybe it could have worked if I tried, but I just could not stomach the thought of that "reveal" moment when you have to tell.

So far this thread highlights the pros and cons pretty well. The dating issue aside, I had a very nice live-in relationship with my folks, and it's way easier in a lot of ways than being independent. Dumping $2k extra every single month to loans for as long as you can remain happy/sane with a limited social life is a savvy move. If your work hours essentially preclude a social life anyway, even more savvy. If my parents lived within a half hour of my firm, I think I would have done this for at least six months and see how it felt.

Return to “Legal Employment”