BIGLAW + 6 months in = very unhappy - any advice? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

BIGLAW + 6 months in = very unhappy - any advice?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:14 am

Facts:
- 26 years old
- Finance degree + JD from t25
- No debt due to scholarships
- Work in secondary Midwest market doing M&A law
- Been here since May/September 2014 depending on when you put down month since you were hired.
- Single

I started at a NLJP250 firm in a secondary market in September. I worked for 2 years before law school on various political campaigns (paid gigs) and had a blast. I chose a t25 on a fat scholarship because I was afraid of what actually is currently happening (hate Biglaw).

I am already sick of the work, atmosphere, and lifestyle of what this job offers. I am working in the transactional side of law and have hated it since day one. The work is boring and I find myself hating every waking moment of my life minus the few hours I make myself workout in the evenings. I have developed no particular bond with any partners in the firm and my anxiety has been increasing everyday. I already find myself slacking/not giving a fuck about billables. Most of my work is either painfully boring or non-billable extensive research.

Everyday I find myself struggling to roll out of bed and have already been told by numerous partners in the firm how much they hate practicing and how they wish they would have done something else with their lives. That, on top of the lack of training, constant ridicule on assignments, and lack of personal relationship with anyone in the office has made me feel like my life is a living hell.

However, I am so new to the legal game that I am unsure what to do. As we all know, 6-9 months is not nearly enough time to get me any 'great' exit options. Also, I'm not sure if things will get better or worse.

Anyone have any idea how to play this situation out? I don't want to be a 'quitter' but really am disappointed with my experience thus far.

fats provolone

Platinum

Re: BIGLAW + 6 months in = very unhappy - any advice?

Post by fats provolone » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:15 am

welcome

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:19 am

Yeah, that sounds about right

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:23 am

why does big law have to be hell on earth

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:24 am

you cop dat Coif, lil breh?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:25 am

No debt
GTFO of there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:28 am

No coif.

Seriously, no debt. I saved my money from my two years working and saved all my summer associate money and took the big scholarship. Parents helped with CoL when needed.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:31 am

I don't think you understood me. No debt = why stay biglaw one second longer than you have to?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:35 am

Fair point. Like most, the prestige and money sucked me in. I have to crash now, have to be in early tomorrow but I will answer any questions/welcome advice or coping mechanisms from users.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:50 am

ymmv wrote:I don't think you understood me. No debt = why stay biglaw one second longer than you have to?
To be fair, I know numerous people who don't have debt either because they didn't have any to begin with or because they paid it off with their years in biglaw. It's not so easy to leave a steady paycheck and benefits though. If you don't have much savings and/or have a family, what are you supposed to do unless you have something lined up? If you hate law, it's not easy to leave the profession entirely and start anew.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:32 am

If you think you may like another practice group more - ask to switch. Other than that suck it up until some exit options open up or save up and open your own firm. Almost everyone hates biglaw and some switch groups, some stick it out for inhouse, some open own firm, and some stay with it hoping tomorrow doesn't suck as bad as today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:12 am

The billables is the worst. I don't think I will come close to reaching my minimum. How can you when partners keep feeding you non billable work.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:11 am

Why whould research be nonbillable? Are you researching for the deals you are involved with?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:41 pm

Get to a year and start looking for another job. You are not stuck in Biglaw so why be so depressed about it? BTW, I did government work as an attorney and am now at Biglaw and Biglaw is better. I worked similar hours in my gov role and was not compensated for it. Same types of people at both places, passive aggressive, incompetent, generally detached.

Most adults do not like their jobs.

http://blogs.wsj.com/atwork/2014/06/18/ ... isfaction/

Julius

New

Post by Julius » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:00 pm

gulcregret wrote:Get to a year and start looking for another job. You are not stuck in Biglaw so why be so depressed about it? BTW, I did government work as an attorney and am now at Biglaw and Biglaw is better. I worked similar hours in my gov role and was not compensated for it. Same types of people at both places, passive aggressive, incompetent, generally detached.

Most adults do not like their jobs.

http://blogs.wsj.com/atwork/2014/06/18/ ... isfaction/
According to your link, most people making $125,000+ enjoy their jobs.
About 64% of people earning more than $125,000 say they’re satisfied with their jobs, while just 24.4% with incomes under $15,000 said the same. In the middle ranks—those earning between $35,000 and $75,000—the figure hovers around 45%.
Compared to other jobs with similar compensation, biglaw is objectively terrible.
Last edited by Julius on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:01 pm

I AM THE 36%

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:02 pm

I know a girl who does M&A at Faegre in Minneapolis. It sounds like the worst job ever. I'd rather go back to blue collar jobs in the summer heat. I'd rather scoop shit out of barns or something. I'd rather work at a fucking call center.

You might work with her.

Anyway, everything you said is par for the course. You probably knew this all going in to taking the job, but you took it anyway. Now you can stick it out for some dough or you can leave. Sounds like you want to leave, so leave. I know we like to analyze everything to death, but your happiness doesn't have to be made out to be more complicated than it is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No coif.

Seriously, no debt. I saved my money from my two years working and saved all my summer associate money and took the big scholarship. Parents helped with CoL when needed.
No coif from a T25 = no mobility until you have substantive experience (which may not be for another five years or more).

Sorry.

gulcregret

Bronze

Post by gulcregret » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:30 pm

According to your link, most people making $125,000+ enjoy their jobs.
About 64% of people earning more than $125,000 say they’re satisfied with their jobs, while just 24.4% with incomes under $15,000 said the same. In the middle ranks—those earning between $35,000 and $75,000—the figure hovers around 45%.
Compared to other jobs with similar compensation, biglaw is objectively terrible.
Most people who make over $125,000 have been at their jobs for more than one year, probably, and are not 25 year-olds who are fresh out of school. These people are satisfied with their jobs because they have been at them for a while and have moved up the ladder. Once you accept that working sucks no matter what and you have to pay the bills, support a family, etc. you deal with the BS. When I was 25 I probably would've hated my life as a biglaw attorney but at 30 something I am "satisfied" as well.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:31 pm

also 30, still in the 36%, sorry

Julius

New

Post by Julius » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:32 pm

30-something-biglaw-lawyer-gulcregret wrote:working sucks no matter what.
actual statistics wrote:64% of people ... say they’re satisfied with their jobs

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:38 pm

u guys wanna make a suicide cult?
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Actus Reus

Bronze

Post by Actus Reus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:57 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No coif.

No coif from a T25 = no mobility until you have substantive experience (which may not be for another five years or more).

Sorry.
We wonder why pre-law kids are so neurotic. I thank you Big Law Associate V20, I thank you.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:20 am

I'm starting to think it's not Biglaw that's terrible, but rather just that lawyers are terrible.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:28 am

First Offense wrote:I'm starting to think it's not Biglaw that's terrible, but rather just that lawyers are terrible.
what's the difference

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”