Having a dog as a NYC associate?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ecrp

Having a dog as a NYC associate?

Postby ecrp » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:07 pm

I couldn't find a thread about this--sorry if this is repetitive.

Does anyone have any experience having a dog as a biglaw associate? Could you recommend any particular breed that would be ok being alone for a while? I'm trying to figure out if there is any feasible way to keep a dog or if that would just be too impossible. I grew up around a lab and am open to just about any breed.

BigZuck

Re: Having a dog as a NYC associate?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:10 pm

Go to the bottom of the page

Hit the "site search" button

Type in dog

Press enter

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:21 pm

ecrp wrote:I couldn't find a thread about this--sorry if this is repetitive.

Does anyone have any experience having a dog as a biglaw associate? Could you recommend any particular breed that would be ok being alone for a while? I'm trying to figure out if there is any feasible way to keep a dog or if that would just be too impossible. I grew up around a lab and am open to just about any breed.

I'm not in NYC, but I'm in another major market (think Chicago/LA/DC). I had a dog in law school and obviously wanted to keep it once I started working. I haven't had a single problem so far, and many of my co-workers also have dogs. Given that I'm at work until 8:00/10:00pm some nights, I hired a dog walking company that comes M-F around 2:00pm in the afternoon to take my dog for a 15 minute walk (just to stretch and go the bathroom). It's only $10/day, although I'm sure those rates vary depending on where you live. And on weekends I usually can work remotely, or if I have to go in, it's for no more then a few hours.

That said, I would be sure to get a breed that is relatively lazy and sleeps a lot, and also to consider adopting a middle-aged dog since puppies have a ton of energy. I have a 6-year-old pug and he sleeps 18+ hours a day, so it's not an issue. Just be sure that when you are home, you don't ignore your dog. They want some attention, so you have to be sure to play/interact with them on nights/weekends.

Moral of the story, having a dog in Biglaw is totally doable.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:33 pm

BigZuck wrote:Go to the bottom of the page

Type in dog

Press enter

The site search still doesn't let you search for three-letter (or less) words.

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:36 pm

I pretend I have a dog and use it as an excuse to leave the office sometimes. Actually having a dog while in biglaw seems pretty cruel, though.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:01 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Type in dog

Press enter

I did it, works for me. I tried that before I posted.

Maybe I'm secretly an admin and no one knew it?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:04 pm

I will have 2 dogs and will be a big law associate in nyc
will start later this year so no report on how it went
there are associates at my firm with dogs, I think it is fine but try and find someone to leave a key with
the worst thing is if you need to stay at office very late

dudders

Postby dudders » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:23 pm

I'm not biglaw but dog-friendly. I'd think as long as you're willing to hire an afternoon dogwalker, it would be doable. Especially with New York hours (I'm not under the impression NY biglaw gets to work at 7:30, like I do), you can probably take a dog out in the morning pretty easy, or to a dog-friendly park space if he needs to run and play.

P.S. I have a 9-year-old lab, he sleeps approximately 21 hours per day (on my bed), has no behavior/destruction issues, and is a bladder champion. We routinely leave him 10 hours a day, 12 in a pinch, with no issues. But he doesn't eat/drink unless you're home. He's super easy for a long work schedule, but not every dog (or pet of any kind) is. Some dogs of any breed need serious walks or serious play time; mine can be a bit neglected and he'll be just fine.

There is nothing cuter than how excited he is to see me when I get home from work.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:27 pm

BigZuck wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Type in dog

Press enter

Oops, I lied. I was using the "search for" box on the bottom, not the site search. Sorry, you're right - carry on!

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:34 pm

You need to have someone else who can feed/walk your dog without much notice. And very regularly. Ideally, a roommate or a spouse. If that isn't an option, you will need a dogwalker you can call regularly. Going home to take your dog out won't be an acceptable reason to leave the office when a deal is heating up.

Also, it will hamper your social life (no drinks on the rare occasion when you get out of work early, because you'll have to head home to feed your dog and let him out).

I love dogs, and I cannot wait to have one. But I am so glad I didn't get one before starting in NYC biglaw. Time and place for everything.

ecrp

Postby ecrp » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Type in dog

Press enter

Oops, I lied. I was using the "search for" box on the bottom, not the site search. Sorry, you're right - carry on!

I was also using the "search for" box - sorry!

Thanks for the replies. Good to know it's doable.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:56 pm

I love dogs and would really like to have one, but I don't think it would be fair to the dog, given my schedule. Maybe its because I grew up with two labs as a kid, but in my head, dogs are meant to be played with, to interact with, to have fun with, to relax with, etc. They gain a sense of purpose and fulfillment from that closeness and interaction. Often, dogs that are denied that become very unstable, much more aggressive and rambunctous.

I'm a dog person but I'm seriously thinking about getting a cat, since they are much more independent and don't have the same issues if you aren't around as much.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:19 am

I don't do it but know people who do. In NYC you need to be very willing not to cheap out. As long as you don't mind dropping a couple hundred bucks a month on dog walkers, then ok.

IME it's mostly people who had dogs before law school, though. I think that getting a dog in a big city when you know you'll be working a ton is kind of selfish, but that's just my opinion.

Riles246

Postby Riles246 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Sucks for the dog. Having a dog in law school is no big deal (you're away from the dog for what, 20 hours max? if that), but having a dog in biglaw is much worse (on average, away from the dog for ~60 hours or so, depending on the firm).

Sure, you could hire a dog walker to see the dog for 15-30 minutes a day, but why not just let some other family adopt and actually take care of the dog. It's just really unfair to the dog, and not worth the hassle for you either.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Riles246 wrote:Sucks for the dog. Having a dog in law school is no big deal (you're away from the dog for what, 20 hours max? if that), but having a dog in biglaw is much worse (on average, away from the dog for ~60 hours or so, depending on the firm).

Sure, you could hire a dog walker to see the dog for 15-30 minutes a day, but why not just let some other family adopt and actually take care of the dog. It's just really unfair to the dog, and not worth the hassle for you either.

Solution: two dogs.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:40 pm

I feel pretty bad for my dogs in DC Biglaw and they are only home alone for 6 hours because my wife comes home.

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:40 pm

I heard Kirkland NY pays to have your dog put down before trial.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I heard Kirkland NY pays to have your dog put down before trial.

:lol:

Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:42 pm

ymmv wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I heard Kirkland NY pays to have your dog put down before trial.

Its on teh NALP form. What do you think Employee Assistance Program means.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ymmv wrote:

Its on teh NALP form. What do you think Employee Assistance Program means.

I always assumed it referred to Seamless after seven.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:55 pm

"on balance, unbalanced"

FSK

Postby FSK » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I feel pretty bad for my dogs in DC Biglaw and they are only home alone for 6 hours because my wife comes home.

Dogs are really socially animals. You're not doing dog or person a service if you're never with it. Cats are way better suited to that lifestyle.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:09 pm

nah cats are attention whores too. they just take care of the shitting on their own

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:32 pm

I don't think a dog would make a good NYC associate at all, too high pressure. I've known labs who did well in secondary markets though.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:37 pm

It's really not fair to the pet if you're not going to see them enough.

Return to “Legal Employment”