CA corp possible from median at lower T14?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AReasonableMan

Re: CA corp possible from median at lower T14?

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reassuring, yes, but what if you're not at CCN? How does median at MVPDNGCB fare if NYC/CA corp is the goal?

Seems like being above median, even by .1, is important.

It depends. Different places have different cutoffs. I'd imagine median at CCN is above most cutoffs. I also don't think specific practice groups will significantly alter anything. It's not like you sign a contract stating you are only going for corporate, and it's common knowledge that people change their minds over the course of the summer.

Anonymous User

Re: CA corp possible from median at lower T14?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L at CCN, GPA ~3.19 at end of 1L, never got an A or A-. got offers from both NYC and CA firms in V30 range, after expressing interest in corporate group at interviews. granted i didn't land V5 or whatever, but hope this provides some reassurance.

That is comforting. What did you do 1L summer? Also did you have significant work experience or other softs you think helped overcome your lower grades?

Anon 2L CCN here. Have strong ties to CA because I grew up and went to undergrad there. I did my 1L summer in CA. Nothing flashy, just worked for a government position that didn't even require an interview or look at my grades. I worked for about 1.5 years before law school in a professional services capacity (but not as "elite" as Goldman Sachs banking or BCG consulting). I've been told I'm a decent interviewer, but I'm definitely not the most charming person either.

I should add that EIP was more challenging because I didn't bid solely on NYC. I had to use some bids on CA firms that I could have used on more NYC firms with large summer classes. I didn't get as many callbacks in NYC as some of my peers did because of this, so it was a risky gamble, but I ended up with an NYC firm that I would have been perfectly happy working for if I didn't get my CA offer.

What ended up working for me was mass mailing CA firms like crazy over the summer. Even with my below-median grades at CCN, I managed to land a decent number of straight-to-callbacks. There's also the Bay Area Diversity Fair in July, which is a mini-EIP for many NorCal and SoCal firms, that you should definitely take advantage of.

If I had to redo EIP, I would use more bids on NYC firms and stick to mass mailing CA firms. The hurdle with CA firms is that they have much smaller classes, so they can only call back a very small number of CCN students through EIP. Also, not gonna lie, I'd say someone at USC/UCLA/Berkeley with better grades than someone like me at CCN will usually win the callback/offer every time. Everything turned out well for me, but I feel like luck played a large part too.

Anonymous User wrote:Reassuring, yes, but what if you're not at CCN? How does median at MVPDNGCB fare if NYC/CA corp is the goal?

Seems like being above median, even by .1, is important.

This is just my personal opinion too, but I felt like many West Coast firms didn't put as much stock into "T6" as NYC firms would. HYS is still special, but the rest of the T-14 + UCLA + USC seems to get lumped into the same group. So to answer your question, to them, median at CCN = median at MVP.

Return to “Legal Employment”