California Counties DA Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

California Counties DA Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:08 am

Does anybody know if there are easy counties with DA Offices to get into? I ask because I know I want to be a DA no matter what. However, it will probably be hard to get into the SFDA upon graduation. I would not mind working anywhere in California. Are there easier/easy counties with DA Offices to get into?

hiima3L

Re: California Counties DA Offices

Postby hiima3L » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:19 am

The further from the coast you go, the better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:56 pm

Unlike DA offices in most other states, California DA offices almost never hire directly out of law school, and they don't hire anyone before they have passed the bar exam. The typical path in recent years is to graduate, pass the bar, and then volunteer for free as a special DA for one of the big DAs offices. Once you have about a year of experience volunteering, that DA office may hire you if it has spots and likes your work. If it doesn't, you will also be able to apply and be a strong candidate for openings at DA offices across the state.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Unlike DA offices in most other states, California DA offices almost never hire directly out of law school, and they don't hire anyone before they have passed the bar exam. The typical path in recent years is to graduate, pass the bar, and then volunteer for free as a special DA for one of the big DAs offices. Once you have about a year of experience volunteering, that DA office may hire you if it has spots and likes your work. If it doesn't, you will also be able to apply and be a strong candidate for openings at DA offices across the state.

Ahh okay thank you very much. A year doesn't seem too bad. If I do not get hired by the DA office I want to work for, is it weird if I work at a small DA office and try to lateral in or keep interviewing for a big city DA Office? Also, what type of GPA would I need to qualify? I am a little below average currently, but have some experience in mock trial etc..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unlike DA offices in most other states, California DA offices almost never hire directly out of law school, and they don't hire anyone before they have passed the bar exam. The typical path in recent years is to graduate, pass the bar, and then volunteer for free as a special DA for one of the big DAs offices. Once you have about a year of experience volunteering, that DA office may hire you if it has spots and likes your work. If it doesn't, you will also be able to apply and be a strong candidate for openings at DA offices across the state.

Ahh okay thank you very much. A year doesn't seem too bad. If I do not get hired by the DA office I want to work for, is it weird if I work at a small DA office and try to lateral in or keep interviewing for a big city DA Office? Also, what type of GPA would I need to qualify? I am a little below average currently, but have some experience in mock trial etc..

I don't think they are that selective in terms of GPA, although you will want to be above median and a high GPA from a good school does help. They care much more about your commitment to the DAs office, and that basically means interning there as much as possible during law school and during the summers. Mock trial and moot court help as well. It's not weird to try to go to a big county DA from a small one...once you have your bar results you should apply anywhere there are positions available. Typically, it goes the other way around though.

Return to “Legal Employment”