Gov Job Offer + Problem with Credit Report Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Gov Job Offer + Problem with Credit Report

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:39 pm

I will start working with a state agency next year (3L currently) and I ran my credit report and found an existing collection balance (medical billing). The state agency mentioned that they will be running the regular background check, fingerprinting and running my credit.

My options are:

a. Pay off the collections right now. Problem is that even if I pay off the collections, the credit report won't reflect the change until several weeks down the line.

b. Wait for the state agency to run my credit and explain the situation if they say it's a problem.

c. Add a written addendum to my credit report, explaining the collections situation.

Has anyone ever been no-offered from a government agency because of bad credit?

Anonymous User

Re: Gov Job Offer + Problem with Credit Report

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will start working with a state agency next year (3L currently) and I ran my credit report and found an existing collection balance (medical billing). The state agency mentioned that they will be running the regular background check, fingerprinting and running my credit.

My options are:

a. Pay off the collections right now. Problem is that even if I pay off the collections, the credit report won't reflect the change until several weeks down the line.

b. Wait for the state agency to run my credit and explain the situation if they say it's a problem.

c. Add a written addendum to my credit report, explaining the collections situation.

Has anyone ever been no-offered from a government agency because of bad credit?
This can be a serious problem, at least for federal government employment (not sure about states but assume it's similar). You need to pay the collections off right now. Then, even if it shows up on your credit report you can tell the investigators that you paid it off and show proof. Usually, it's only outstanding collections that are an issue, not ones that have been paid off.

desperate4lawschool

New

Re: Gov Job Offer + Problem with Credit Report

Post by desperate4lawschool » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:32 am

I concur with the other reply. Pay it off right NOW. If it comes up later, you can show them proof of payment and explain. More likely than not, it wouldn't be a problem. As a government employee, it is my understanding that they are looking for potential conflicts of interest and whether someone could use that debt to coerce you. I'd honestly be more worried about your bar application, rather than the background check.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”