Goldman Sachs Trust Administrator

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Goldman Sachs Trust Administrator

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:23 pm

GS has posted this job on my school's site several times, for an internship with the Investment Management division which is supposed to convert to a position as a Trust Administrator after law school.

Does anyone know about this program? Is being a Trust Admin a decent JD-advantage job? (Google seems to say no, but maybe a GS TA is different?). Does anyone know what exit opportunities might be available? Would there be any possibility to convert from a Trust Admin to a lawyer in a trusts and estates group?

Re: Goldman Sachs Trust Administrator

Postby vlshort3955 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:50 pm

I'm not very helpful - haven't heard of this program, but it seems interesting.

I was a T&E paralegal for 5 years before starting law school. Any wealth management/trust administration is going to give you a huge, huge advantage as a T&E lawyer. T&E is pretty specialized, so it would be a strong selling point. Putting aside the Trust Admin job, the internship in an investment management division (at GS!) can easily sway your resume to tailor to any area of finance/tax law too.

Re: Goldman Sachs Trust Administrator

Postby Aeon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:42 pm

I'm not familiar with the Goldman Sachs program specifically, but a trust administrator is not a lawyer. A lawyer could certainly function as a trust administrator, though a law degree isn't necessary for the job.

You may find it very difficult to transition from the trust administrator position to a legal one. Most employers would rather take on somebody with experience as a lawyer, and it is considered suspect when a job candidate took on a non-legal position after graduation (the implication, whether fair or not, being that the person could not find a legal job).

Return to “Legal Employment”