Working At Small Firm 1L Summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mino

Working At Small Firm 1L Summer

Postby mino » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Hey All,

I did a quick search of the forums and couldn't find much relating to my question so I thought I'd post here. I'm a 1L at HYS going through the whole recruiting process and got an offer from a small firm (<20 lawyers). The firm is a litigation boutique and seems to do a lot of interesting work and from what I've heard I would get a lot of responsibility.

At this point I'm not too sure what to do. I still have applications out at a number of Big Law firms but all of them are waiting to hear back on my grades before proceeding. I won't be getting grades until the end of the month and would expect the process to take a few more weeks beyond that assuming I hit their grade expectations.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in a similar position and what they did? Also would love to hear from people who went to a small firm and how it was/impacted them/etc.

Thanks so much!

Elston Gunn

Re: Working At Small Firm 1L Summer

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:20 pm

I went to DOJ over a small firm I really liked in the same spot, but it was really just because I was trying to show firms I wanted to be in DC. I think you'd be absolutely fine doing the lit boutique if it's what you'd like to do.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Worked at a boutique my 1L summer and big law my 2L summer. Wound up liking the boutique a whole lot more than biglaw and am working there full time now. I would definitely recommend doing it if you think you are interested in litigation. There will be a lot more option value to having a boutique to compare with instead of having to compare Latham to Skadden or whatever you would have if you did big law both summers.

Would be different if you didn't think you would ever work in the boutique post LS or if they weren't going to offer you a permanent postion after the summer.

Avian

Postby Avian » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Can you wait to tell the small firm or get an extension? No biglaw firm is going to hold the job against you because they really don't care what you do 1L summer as long as it's legal. The only thing you'd be missing is the potential to secure an offer at the end of the summer. But if your grades are good you can get those same 2L SA positions at OCI anyway.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:27 pm

mino wrote:Hey All,

I did a quick search of the forums and couldn't find much relating to my question so I thought I'd post here. I'm a 1L at HYS going through the whole recruiting process and got an offer from a small firm (<20 lawyers). The firm is a litigation boutique and seems to do a lot of interesting work and from what I've heard I would get a lot of responsibility.

At this point I'm not too sure what to do. I still have applications out at a number of Big Law firms but all of them are waiting to hear back on my grades before proceeding. I won't be getting grades until the end of the month and would expect the process to take a few more weeks beyond that assuming I hit their grade expectations.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in a similar position and what they did? Also would love to hear from people who went to a small firm and how it was/impacted them/etc.

Thanks so much!

fyi, you might want to consider changing your username, pretty sure you're super identifiable

Return to “Legal Employment”