Summer Associate with Summer Classes

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
doctoroflaw91

Summer Associate with Summer Classes

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:54 am

What is the protocol on taking summer classes while also holding a summer associate position? Impossible? Frowned upon?

Thinking about take a 1 night/week seminar during the summer in order to lighten my spring courseload.

arklaw13

Re: Summer Associate with Summer Classes

Postby arklaw13 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:08 am

I definitely wouldn't do it. Just take BS classes in the spring.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:14 am

doctoroflaw91 wrote:What is the protocol on taking summer classes while also holding a summer associate position? Impossible? Frowned upon?

Thinking about take a 1 night/week seminar during the summer in order to lighten my spring courseload.

You are expected to be working full time. They aren't paying you obscene money so you can lighten ur courseload. You shouldn't have to work late, but there will social events. And "sorry I got class!" is weird and shitty excuse.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
doctoroflaw91 wrote:What is the protocol on taking summer classes while also holding a summer associate position? Impossible? Frowned upon?

You are expected to be working full time. They aren't paying you obscene money so you can lighten ur courseload. You shouldn't have to work late, but there will social events. And "sorry I got class!" is weird and shitty excuse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:38 pm

I know this is not a summer associate position, but, during my interview for a summer internship at a State Supreme Court, I was specifically asked what summer classes I was planning to take if I was offered the internship.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this is not a summer associate position, but, during my interview for a summer internship at a State Supreme Court, I was specifically asked what summer classes I was planning to take if I was offered the internship.

State courts don't pay second year students $3,000 a week.

This is a stupid idea. Take an extra class during 3L

Pikappraider

Postby Pikappraider » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:49 pm

sounds like a terrible idea

skers

Postby skers » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:54 pm

You should be no offered for even thinking about doing this. Jesus Christ.

Riles246

Postby Riles246 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:09 pm

I did this (summer classes during summer associate). I took 6 credits and it allowed me to graduate early enough to fit a tax LLM in prior to starting with the firm. I asked the same question before doing it, and I got all of the same (frankly, dumb) responses. Being a summer associate is extremely easy- they really coddle the interns. I left every day at 5:30 except for when we had events, and nobody ever missed me at the couple of events I had to skip for class.

As someone who has done it with a biglaw SA, I say that you should absolutely do it. Perhaps it depends on the firm, but my firm is just a typical biglaw (i.e. not Wachtell), and seriously nobody batted an eyelash in the least.

You'll just have to read the room when you're in the SA position to see if there are particular events or times that you might choose to miss class over missing something firm-related. Miss a class or two, and miss an event or two, and most people won't even realize you did both at the same time.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:45 pm

skers wrote:You should be no offered for even thinking about doing this. Jesus Christ.

This specifically is the one reason that my firm has no-offered a SA.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:17 pm

Riles246 wrote:I did this (summer classes during summer associate). I took 6 credits and it allowed me to graduate early enough to fit a tax LLM in prior to starting with the firm. I asked the same question before doing it, and I got all of the same (frankly, dumb) responses. Being a summer associate is extremely easy- they really coddle the interns. I left every day at 5:30 except for when we had events, and nobody ever missed me at the couple of events I had to skip for class.

As someone who has done it with a biglaw SA, I say that you should absolutely do it. Perhaps it depends on the firm, but my firm is just a typical biglaw (i.e. not Wachtell), and seriously nobody batted an eyelash in the least.

You'll just have to read the room when you're in the SA position to see if there are particular events or times that you might choose to miss class over missing something firm-related. Miss a class or two, and miss an event or two, and most people won't even realize you did both at the same time.

This seems right to me. I don't know why anyone at the firm would even have to know. Just go in knowing you might have to miss class a couple of times and don't do anything stupid like tell a partner you can't join a client meeting because you have class.

enibs

Postby enibs » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:17 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Riles246 wrote:I did this (summer classes during summer associate). I took 6 credits and it allowed me to graduate early enough to fit a tax LLM in prior to starting with the firm. I asked the same question before doing it, and I got all of the same (frankly, dumb) responses. Being a summer associate is extremely easy- they really coddle the interns. I left every day at 5:30 except for when we had events, and nobody ever missed me at the couple of events I had to skip for class.

This seems right to me. I don't know why anyone at the firm would even have to know. Just go in knowing you might have to miss class a couple of times and don't do anything stupid like tell a partner you can't join a client meeting because you have class.

If you do this, one of three things will happen (in order of probability): (1) the firm will never find out, (2) the firm will find out but they won't care, or (3) the firm will find out and they'll care and feel like you deceived them and consider not giving you an offer. I think the odds of (3) are pretty low, though I couldn't guarantee that (3) wouldn't be the answer at my firm if we found out. The question is, do you really want to roll the dice? Personally, I would either not do it, or ask the firm if it's okay and then only do it if they say yes.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:39 pm

Agreed. To be clear, I would probably tell recruiting. I just meant I wouldn't go around telling attorneys and I certainly wouldn't use it as a basis to skip work stuff.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:44 pm

skers wrote:You should be no offered for even thinking about doing this. Jesus Christ.

Return to “Legal Employment”