Experience targeting the Florida biglaw market? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Experience targeting the Florida biglaw market?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:06 am

I know it's very insular market and tough to crack. Has anyone on this forum had success with getting a 1L SA position from a Florida firm? I know it's already late in the game for summer 1L positions. I'm specifically targeting Miami/Palm Beach County/Tallahassee/Orlando, but would work anywhere. Can anyone else at a Florida/T14 school who has summered at a Florida firm shed some light on whether or not many of these firms hire 1Ls and what type of grades they're looking for?

For what it's worth: lower T14, Top 10%, AA?

ETA: How do you go about applying for multiple offices? Is that proper or discouraged?

Cicero76

Silver

Re: Experience targeting the Florida biglaw market?

Post by Cicero76 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:59 am

I'm summering in Miami. FL biglaw is not fun to target. Be ready for a rough ride

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:15 am

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know it's very insular market and tough to crack. Has anyone on this forum had success with getting a 1L SA position from a Florida firm? I know it's already late in the game for summer 1L positions. I'm specifically targeting Miami/Palm Beach County/Tallahassee/Orlando, but would work anywhere. Can anyone else at a Florida/T14 school who has summered at a Florida firm shed some light on whether or not many of these firms hire 1Ls and what type of grades they're looking for?

ETA: How do you go about applying for multiple offices? Is that proper or discouraged?
In Miami, Stearns Weaver always takes a handful of 1Ls, so I would check into that. I also know a 1L at my school that interviewed with Bilzin Sumberg over the winter break, so maybe throw an app there as well. Outside of Miami, I'm not at all familiar with the market. Good luck to you, it's a very tough nut to crack.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:53 am

If you go to UVA, Duke, NU or GULC there's an on tour interview program before OCI that'll allow you to target a handful of Miami firms for 2L summer recruitment. Keep an eye out for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Its really tough to get Florida Biglaw 1l or 2l.. there are some threads about it here use the search function. Ive friends w great GPAs that almost struck out in florida and had NYC/DC biglaw as a backup. I would suggest you do the same.

lawschool161

New

Post by lawschool161 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:18 am

elterrible78 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know it's very insular market and tough to crack. Has anyone on this forum had success with getting a 1L SA position from a Florida firm? I know it's already late in the game for summer 1L positions. I'm specifically targeting Miami/Palm Beach County/Tallahassee/Orlando, but would work anywhere. Can anyone else at a Florida/T14 school who has summered at a Florida firm shed some light on whether or not many of these firms hire 1Ls and what type of grades they're looking for?

In Miami, Stearns Weaver always takes a handful of 1Ls, so I would check into that. I also know a 1L at my school that interviewed with Bilzin Sumberg over the winter break, so maybe throw an app there as well. Outside of Miami, I'm not at all familiar with the market. Good luck to you, it's a very tough nut to crack.

How many 1Ls does Sterns Weaver take? Do you know anyone who has gotten an offer from them yet?

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:48 pm

lawschool161 wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

How many 1Ls does Sterns Weaver take? Do you know anyone who has gotten an offer from them yet?
PM me.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:23 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”