Research Position Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawGirl7

Research Position Advice

Postby LawGirl7 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:26 pm

I'm a 1L at a T20, and chances are that I'm going to have to take a research position this summer. I'm going out of the country for a few weeks in the middle of summer for my honeymoon (I figured 1L summer was the best to do this, as a firm job is more important my 2L year than my 1L year), so I need flexibility in my schedule. I think that a research position is probably my best option. However, I don't know much about what a research position entails, or how to approach a professor to ask for one. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

arklaw13

Re: Research Position Advice

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:35 pm

It's not hard work if the professor is chill. Usually he just gives you a question and you research it and write a memo-type thing answering it the best you can based on what's out there. Some profs will give you more empirical-type stuff.

To get the job, just send an email to the prof you either liked the best or whose class you got the best grade in. Say something like:

"Dear Prof. Smith,

I really enjoyed your Torts class this semester. Will you be taking on any research assistants this summer? If so, I would love to stop by your office sometime and discuss the possibility of working for you. Thank you.

Sincerely,

1L"

LawGirl7

Postby LawGirl7 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:48 pm

Thank you for the advice! I'm thinking about asking a professor whose class I'm in this semester. He's my Business Associations professor, which I feel is somewhat relevant because I'm thinking corporate or commercial real estate, and he's pretty chill. Property would probably be another option, but I'm not as close with/don't really like him.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:54 pm

I was a research assitant for two years. It's not hard work at all. I worked from home and on,y met with the professor every two weeks. The frequency of your meetings will depend on your professor, but everyone that I know that was a research assistant worked at their own pace at a location of their choosing. You'll be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”